What's new

Warner Chat 2010:No Plans At This Time (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight

I planned on attending the chat,but got the times mixed up.Did anybody ask about Freddy's Nightmares and Eight Is Enough?
Dave did but I don't know if these two series (among others he listed) fall under active consideration or are on their long list. Warner wasn't clear.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I was hoping for some better Harry O news too, but keep in mind that the famous reply of 'no plans' was also given once for Scarecrow and Mrs King some years back, and look what happened there. There is this theory, studios will sometimes give this answer to test the water and look at fan response to it. And anyway, surely if a show is shortlived it makes for an easier release, simply because there's not so much of it and especially if it's popular as in the case of Harry O where it's an oft-demanded title a release would make some sense there.
But if Warner doesn't want to do anything with a popular Janssen show, that's too bad, at least license it out then to Shout! or somebody. In my own opinion, it's quite frankly too good a show for the Archive-on-demand dvd-r thing, although that'd be better than nothing of course if only a notch or two up from what's in private hands off TV. Over at Universal you get every Rockford Files out, here Harry gets left behind in his beach house though to me it's clearly the better show of them.

Fredbloggs

Auditioning
Real Name
Winifred
Henry you're spot on there about Harry O. Nice to see I'm not alone in valuing an excellent series, probably the best of its time. I think it was a brilliant show, the scripts were tremendous and the actors superb. I quite liked Rockford ,but Harry was a much more rounded character. The photography was unusual too, much more like film than the usual TV shows. Puts the current TV detective shows to shame despite all the new technology.

It was very popular here in the UK and had a prime Saturday evening slot on the BBC! As you say if they aren't going to release it why not let someone else have it. You can't even see it on telly here now but you can see Ironside and old Mission Impossible stuff. When you ask them why, the TV companies just say they don't have the rights. I wonder why Warners are hanging on to them. Maybe I'll try again and ask them.

I hope they took notes about Roots. The current dvd is missing brief sections, especially where the episodes were combined for syndication. The footage is available on a daily basis at the Museum of Broadcasting in New York City. I hope WB will look into releasing this important classic in its original version sometime in the future.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Originally Posted by Fredbloggs /forum/thread/299560/warner-chat-2010-no-plans-at-this-time#post_3678350

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Discouraging.
I believe classic tv on dvd from a big studio will soon be completely dead.

"No plans" indeed.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by ChrisCook

[COLOR= black]Ron, the "Tom and Jerry" theatrical shorts were raised twice last night and Warner responded that they're reviewing a complete collection and looking at releasing further collections. What wasn't directly addressed is revisiting their stance against issuing a replacement program for Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection, Vol. 3.

Is it possible you can run this by them for those who have been waiting to complete the Hanna-Barbera era (with Volume 3) with the two missing shorts, and possibly fixing the edited "His Mouse Friday" and misframed "Pup on a Picnic"?

Thanks.[/COLOR]

which is why i ask the question, that and i dont think that the Dietch toons would ever see the lite of day unless a complete set was done

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I was disappointed no one asked about Midnight Caller (and before someone asks, I couldn't make the HTF Warner Brothers chat because of the time difference. Being in the UK it wouldn't have started I think until 1 am).

The possibility of Freddy's Nightmares on DVD from Warner? Hard to tell from their answer. Considering the remake of the original Nightmare on Elm Street is coming out in cinemas in the US in April (and likely on DVD and Blu-ray later this year) you would think Warner Brothers might release at least the first season on DVD. Paramount released those deluxe edition DVDs of the first eight Friday the 13th films on Region 1 last year when "Friday the 13th (2009)" came out in cinemas (and later DVD and Blu-ray) last year.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by dana martin

which is why i ask the question, that and i dont think that the Dietch toons would ever see the lite of day unless a complete set was done
I figured that was the reason... but, I still hold out hope for a corrected Volume 3 as I'm only interested in this era. I never cared for the Gene Deitch shorts.

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator
I was disappointed in it. "No plans at the time" could pretty much describe most of the night. It looks like there is little hope for a great majority of their classic shows. I hope they get Shout! Factory more involved. What little news they did have, I mostly knew was already coming out.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I'm very grateful Warner returned this year - still the only studio that bothers to chat directly with consumers.

It's great they issued a 40th anniversary DVD for Sesame Street this past year, but they should realize that "Old School" extends beyond 1979, the final year covered in the unrelated Old School series. There are many classic moments from beyond the first decade that should be addressed, and that series definitely needs to resume now that the anniversary has passed.

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
Originally Posted by MattSav

I wonder what the Smallville season 1 technical glitches are about which prevent that season from coming out on blu? Maybe it wasn't shot at full 1080P? Who knows...
According to imdb, season 1 of Smallville was shot on 35mm film but was mastered in Standard Def Anamorphic Widescreen, while every season after that was shot on 35mm film and mastered in HD.

So, this basically means that they would have to go back and re-edit & re-master season 1 in HD from the original film negatives to make a Smallville Season 1 Blu-Ray set.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Originally Posted by ChrisCook

Dave did but I don't know if these two series (among others he listed) fall under active consideration or are on their long list. Warner wasn't clear.
Thanks. I just read the transcript. I thank Dave for asking,but am disappointed in the way he did. I would have asked,specifically,why Freddy's Nightmares wasn't being released to tie in with the release of the upcoming remake and if there was any progress in overcoming the "fixed cost hurdles" for Eight Is Enough,instead of lumping them in with about five or six other shows and asking if they're going to be released.Too bad. I guess we'll never know the answers to those questions.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Another way I'd look at it regarding Freddy's Nightmares, is this...which was more popular or did better in terms of ratings, Freddy's Nightmares, Tales from the Darkside or Friday the 13th: The Series? We're getting the third season of Tales from the Darkside at the end of this month on Region 1, with one more season to go. All three seasons of Friday the 13th: The Series have been released on Region 1. Just TWO seasons of Freddy's Nightmares.

Fredbloggs

Auditioning
Real Name
Winifred
Think you're right. Warners just don't seem to want to know about Harry O and it was a classic. Brilliant! They should let someone else have it if they don't want to do anything with it.

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Sounds reasonable. When I recently watched this series S1-8 on (std) DVD's, I noticed a difference between the S1 transfers and the other seasons. I wasn't sure what I was seeing but this expl makes sense to me.
Yeah Me too!!! I notice a big difference going from the season 1 dvds to the season 2 & 3 dvd's.

Real Name
Michael
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt

It's great they issued a 40th anniversary DVD for Sesame Street this past year, but they should realize that "Old School" extends beyond 1979, the final year covered in the unrelated Old School series. There are many classic moments from beyond the first decade that should be addressed, and that series definitely needs to resume now that the anniversary has passed.
I hate the way Warner answered it (that's like saying "Looney Tunes have already been released under Golden Collections and Super Stars"). And even then, there are a lot of moments from 1969-1979 that haven't been released yet. A lot of things that I'm sure casual fans would remember, such as:
*Jazz #3-10
*Henson #4-9
*Bert and Ernie: Banana in Ear Part 2 (and there's also the rarely-seen part 3)
*The Count and Cookie Monster Co-Operate
*Grover: Near and Far (outside of the "Over, Under, Around, and Through" song)
*Lena Horne: Being Green
*James Earl Jones: The Alphabet
*Kermit and Grover: Earmuff and Nosewarmer Salesman sketches
*Bert gets locked out
*Bert and Ernie: Fish in Cowboy Hat
*Sesame Street News: Count counts Three Little Pigs
*Pinball Number Count #3, #5-6, #8-11

And a lot more beyond that.

I wanted to participate in the chat, but whatever I typed wouldn't show up in channel. I don't know if that's because I joined on the day of the chat or what (it took awhile before I got a confirmation e-mail, though I was still able to post). Ironically, whenever I typed in "YO" I saw it coem up first almost every time. Too bad it wasn't seen by others.

Superstar6021

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I'm very pleased to see their response for The New Adventures of Old Christine, I presumed they had given up on that show. Their answer makes it sound like they're planning on releasing it one or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks