What's new

Warner Chat 2010:No Plans At This Time (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I am BEYOND thrilled to read that MAVERICK is finally being looked at for DVD release!!!

I would even be glad if they split each season into two releases!!

Much appreciation to WB for finally putting this show under consideration!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
One thing that surpised me was that they said they "continue to work" at China Beach. I had gotten the impression from previous chats that they weren't even attempting to work at this title due to the music issues. Maybe this will see the light of day after all (but I doubt it).

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by TV_Fan

One thing that surpised me was that they said they "continue to work" at China Beach. I had gotten the impression from previous chats that they weren't even attempting to work at this title due to the music issues. Maybe this will see the light of day after all (but I doubt it).
Music Substitution? :)

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Please, please, please don't let them resort to music substitution for CHINA BEACH. That would be utter blasphemy. The featured songs are such an integral part of the show, replacing them would be a disaster of epic proportions for the sales figures. I'd rather it remained unreleased than have it with substituted music. Too bad this couldn't be solved while both Dana Delany and Marg Helgenberger are starring on hit shows, which certainly would have helped in the marketing area. Let's keep in mind that after years of such problems, FOX was able to work out getting ALLY McBEAL out there with its original music and SHOUT! did it too with thirtysomething in the not too distant past, so I think there is a tiny hope there that these issues could be worked out in the future.

As far as what else was said during the chat is concerned, I just want to say I'm glad they didn't completely rule out releasing more seasons of KNOTS LANDING and THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE. Sure, they remain cautious about both shows, but they haven't flat out said "no chance in Hell this is ever seeing the light of day again" either, so I'll keep going by my "Good things come to those who wait" motto.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by whisperintherain

Please, please, please don't let them resort to music substitution for CHINA BEACH. That would be utter blasphemy. The featured songs are such an integral part of the show, replacing them would be a disaster of epic proportions for the sales figures. I'd rather it remained unreleased than have it with substituted music. Too bad this couldn't be solved while both Dana Delany and Marg Helgenberger are starring on hit shows, which certainly would have helped in the marketing area. Let's keep in mind that after years of such problems, FOX was able to work out getting ALLY McBEAL out there with its original music and SHOUT! did it too with thirtysomething in the not too distant past, so I think there is a tiny hope there that these issues could be worked out in the future.
I wholeheartedly agree. The same is true of the music in "Homefront" (it's a reflection of that era as well), which wasn't addressed at the chat this year. Warner may want to look at making these two acclaimed period dramas with passionate followings a co-license with Shout! Factory.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I agree that the music is integral to China Beach. I don't see WB releasing this with substituted music (aside from perhaps maybe ONE or TWO songs or music cues here or there). Of all the major studios WB seems to be the best at releasing TV shows with music intact. I'm sure they're well aware of what would happen with music substution and doubt they would go that route. I'm just highly doubtful that China Beach will ever get released because of the music.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I agree that the music is integral to China Beach. I don't see WB releasing this with substituted music (aside from perhaps maybe ONE or TWO songs or music cues here or there). Of all the major studios WB seems to be the best at releasing TV shows with music intact. I'm sure they're well aware of what would happen with music substution and doubt they would go that route. I'm just highly doubtful that China Beach will ever get released because of the music.
There was a time I believed this about Warner, but lately they've seemed to be more willing to replace music than they did in the past. (I promise I won't bring up my complaints about Seasons 2-4 of "Everwood" again, though they do get major kudos for opening their vaults up and licensing some of their series out to Shout! Factory.) Now, nowhere near as bad as say CBS/Paramount or Fox. However, they did put out there a few years ago that consumers are more accepting of music changes - but that is loads of BS as just look at the response to some of the hatchet jobs CBS/Paramount and Fox have done. I didn't see much of "Ally McBeal" but what I saw of it I didn't care for. Even I know that music played a large part of that show and shocked really that Fox listened and were able to secure it all. If there is even one song or music cue missing on "China Beach", then I won't buy it and I won't support it. This is the same studio that feels there's not enough of an audience for "Homefront" to justify a DVD release. Excuse me but I couldn't help but laugh at that response Sarah (who runs HomefrontOnDVD.com) got three years ago. "Homefront" is now currently ranked #10 right behind "China Beach" and Warner is plainly not aware how popular Kyle Chandler is. He starred in one of the most popular dramas of the '90s, to having a supporting role in "King Kong", to his two Emmy-nominated guest appearances in "Grey's Anatomy", to the critical and audience favorite "Friday Night Lights". He even had a small role in "The Kingdom". His face in the last several years have been everywhere, you can't tell me he doesn't have a following that would help get this out on the market. And there were only two seasons! I understand the high music costs associated with this series, I do, but c'mon.

I do continue to appreciate Warner coming and doing these chats and having a presence here at Home Theater Forum, and hope that relationship will continue to strive. And I'm happy to see Fox here. Hopefully we can get them along with Shout! Factory to do a chat soon.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I just don't see China Beach getting released, replaced music or not. I didn't watch Ally McBeal either, but from what I read they were only able to clear all the music because most of it used was the cast singing the music or covers. That's a lot cheaper to clear. China Beach is a different case with an actual Motown song as its theme song. I don't see it having all music cleared even if Shout Factory were to get it (which is extrememly doubtful). Believe me I want to see China Beach released, music intact and all, but am doubtful. Although I've never seen the show, I heard Sony did a botch job on the similar Tour of Duty set they released.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I just don't see China Beach getting released, replaced music or not. I didn't watch Ally McBeal either, but from what I read they were only able to clear all the music because most of it used was the cast singing the music or covers. That's a lot cheaper to clear. China Beach is a different case with an actual Motown song as its theme song. I don't see it having all music cleared even if Shout Factory were to get it (which is extrememly doubtful). Believe me I want to see China Beach released, music intact and all, but am doubtful. Although I've never seen the show, I heard Sony did a botch job on the similar Tour of Duty set they released.
I don't know if things are the same for "China Beach", but the last time I read about the music situation (again, if true) was posted in this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/272815/stalled-series-there-s-hope/150#post_3382767

"Accentuate the Positive" is the theme song for "Homefront" and was also used as the opening of the film "Blast from the Past". That isn't cheap either.

Mypiot

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I was wondering, are there any announcements in advance of when these discussions with Warner Home Video or the Warner television division will be taking place?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes, we usually give at least a month's notice.

At this time there are no chat plans scheduled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks