What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Bros. – We Want A Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II (1 Viewer)

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
Richard Donner...where is the spunk you had when you made this film? GO FOR IT...DUDE!!! You have nothing to lose....you have already made your name. Do this for your fans and your immortality!
P.S. I know you like German Shepards...do it for them!;)

Yes, Warner Brothers, please release a full Donner recut of Superman II on DVD (and possibly for theatrical re-release as well). The DVD should be a two- or three-disc set. It should have both the original theatrical release (as presented on your current DVD) and the fully completed Donner cut supervised by Richard Donner. If budget allows and is feasible, planned scenes that were not filmed should be filmed (or digitally created). (Obviously if there were extra scenes with the actors that would not be feasible because they're much older now.) But however Donner can integrate the 70% footage he shot with the rest of it to make his story come alive, I'd like to see that.

One more thing: WB, you should give Superman II the same technical treatment you gave the Superman the Movie DVD (cleaned up digital remaster, Dolby Digital 5.1). Thanks for the Superman I DVD, by the way. It is outstanding.

Oh, yes, I forgot, you should also bring in John Williams to fully rescore Superman II for the DVD. No one composes, arranges, or conducts film music better than he!

By the way, how is Warner Bros. and/or Richard Donner getting to see these messages? Mr. Donner, if you can see these posts, PLEASE consider making a special edition DVD of Superman II. I know in earlier interviews you mentioned you had no interest in the project, but whatever ills you had with the producers are in the past! (That was 20 years ago!) Please do it for your fans. We'd like to see your original vision for Superman II.

Benedict Woods

Auditioning
Richard Donner’s “Superman” is one of my all time favourite films.

I am one hundred percent behind seeing the release of his version of the sequel. I believe that if it were done properly and had a certain amount of marketing behind it, this film could generate interest in the general public towards a brand new Superman feature. I think the studio owe it to the original filmmakers to see their accomplishments recognized.

I think it would also put Warner brothers in a good light as being sympathetic towards both their artists and to the audience who buy the tickets and home video versions.

Earl_Anthony_E

Auditioning
I would like to see Richard Donner's version of Superman II. :)
There are several Marvel Comic Characters coming to the theater and some that already have, why not re-launch Warner Brothers' DC Comic book charaters at the theater with something new and already well liked, like the Donner re-edited version of Superman II.
It also seem's like Marvel is ahead of the race to the Theater with what has already came out, what is coming out this year, and what is to come. It looks like Warner Brothers is just siting around and don't care as much about their DC Characters as much as Marvel does their's. There has only been two of DC's biggest character's come to the big screen.

Jason_J_C

Auditioning
The idea of re-cutting Superman II is the best thing anyone has come up with in a long time. Perhaps some of the players invoved think its not worth going back and redoing old things, but I think of it this way...

There is so much money being spent to produce new films, that really are not new or inspiring in any sense of the word. Every week we are bombarded with flick after flick to keep the money machine going, while only a few films stand out as timeless classics. Most other movies are just background noise in the overall public mind. That said, the Superman II production was mangled in such a way that this idea makes complete sense. Please go back and restore footage, re-cut, re-score, and add modern special effects with the original intent in focus.

Will the continuity be lost? No, the other cut has and will continue to exist for those that want it, but this is something new. Something I'm sure tens to hundreds of thousands of people that loved the first movie as I did would have to have. WB would have to put the time and money in. It would have to be approached with inspired vision and a dedication to quality. Marketing this would have to be fresh with determination... a brand new project.

All the people involved with the first film would be crazy not to get excited about this if the studio and all its current players also got excited and put some modern money into a timeless story that deserves its original cut. I'm in...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the only hold up is really Richard Donner. He doesn;t want to do the SE.. everyone else wants it.. that is the delay.

JACOB

MarkChambers

Auditioning
This absoulutely has to happen!

It is no exageration to say that Superman the Movie changed my life. Watching the movie as a 6 year old entranced me, and that magic has remained with me over the quarter century in between like no other film.

This can be attributed to 2 things; Christopher Reeves' wonderful portrayal of the Man of Steel, a Superman and yet still very much a Man, and secondly the incredible vision, drive and determination of Director Richard Donner. Without these 2 fundamental aspects, coupled with the fantastic supporting cast and crew, thia film would never have had the impact it has on me and so many others.

Superman is not just a movie, but a cinematic vision, and one that was cruelly cut short of its potential.

The Superman II of Donners original vision would have been a masterful conclusion to the events of Part I.

One can only dream of the power evoked from the image of Marlon Brando as Jor-El sacrificing his remaining lifeforce in the Fortress of Solitude in order that his Son may return to the role he was destined for.

So many of the gaping plot holes in the exisiting cut would be filled and the quality of the sequel immeasurably improved, and most of the scenes WERE FILMED! Indeed it is common knowledge that 70% of Superman II was in the can before the first movie was even released.

Of course there will be sections that will need the wonders of digital technology to realise, but having this technology available now just makes the timing for this all the more pertinent.

One can understand and appreciate Donners anger, frustration and feeling of betrayal at not being allowed to complete a work he had poured so much blood sweat and tears into, but if there is even the slightest chance that this travesty of justice can be redressed, it MUST be taken.

Almost 25 years have passed. If this footage still exisits it must be reclaimed and restored whilst there is still time.

A Donner cut of II would be a lasting testament not only to his vision, but to all those involved, showcasing further the magnificence of Reeves performance together with the excellence of Derek Meddings models, of John Barrys sets, and one could even argue that there is a case for the footage to be revealed for no other reason than it marks the last work of the great Geoffrey Unsworth and is therefore of historic value to the film industry.

From Warners point of view, with a new film in the pipeline why not use this opportunity to raise the profile of Superman on screen and give fans old and new a chance to see how a Superman film should be made.

For Mr. Donner, please do this for us, do this for yourself. Do not ultimately let the Salkinds win.

If you have the opportunity to complete your vision and create a lasting testament to all those involved and to all those like me who have adored the vision you gave us, then please take it.

Superman II the Donner Cut - The Adventure Can Still Continue.............

Adam Sha

Agent
Isn't there any news pictures coming forth yet? Is there or isn't there a site by Jim Bowers who has tons of rare Superman 2 pictures which may have some lost pictures of the deleted footage. Wasn't there tons of model effect scenes thats said to be done by Derek Meddings of the "3 Supervillians destruction of Earth?" an Oil Rig scene? Superman saving foxes in England, General Zod destroying the "Washington monument" and a scene of Superman punching Non into the "Statue of Liberty!" during the times square battle! Does anyone have or seen pictures leaked from the studio like these? Bowers site sure does have interesting pictures!
Whether or not Warners is brave enough to come foward with this i don't know. But this is the 25th anniversay of "Superman the Movie" and the delux SE DVD is basically the same as the first DVD with just a bigger package.
I want Warners to fest up and give us all a Superman 2 delux DVD set with posters pictures and such.
A Superman 2 SE DVD is needed with a possible limited cinema showing around the world first, just before any new Superman movie(s) is made.
Make it happen WB a Superman 2 SE
Including:
* Donner's original opening right after Superman 1 where he leaves the prison and flies into space. Then cut to the XK-101 Rocket blowing up in space and releasing the Phantom Zone Villians
* Clark Kent regenerated by Jor-El
* General Zod, Ursa and Non taking over the world. India, Kremlin Russia, Tokyo Japan, Paris France etc.
* Reinserted Richard Donner scenes that were reshot by director Richard Lester!
* A new John Williams score and soundtrack for the new cut.
* Reinserted Derek Medding model SFX and optical SFX originally cut out.
* Lois shoots Clark Kent with blanks from a gun to prove Clark is Superman
* The full White house invasion by the 3 Supervillians. Not the cut up version in both the theatrical and extended TV verisons (we can tell by the editing)
* Marlon Brando scenes Reinserted
* All other extended scenes fleshed out!
* Remastered picture and sound i.e. Restored print.
* Extras packed DVD
Make this happen WB please!!!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks