What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Strike Up The Band (1940) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 2.04.59 PM.png

STRIKE UP THE BAND (1940)
Run Time 100:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO
Aspect Ratio 4 X 3 FULL FRAME, 1.37:1
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Introduction to the Film by Mickey Rooney; Pete Smith Specialty Comedy Short "Wedding Bells"; Cartoon "Romeo in Rhythm"; "Do the La Conga" Stereo Remix Version; "Leo is on the Air" Radio Promo; "Millions for Defense" (Audio Only); Lux Radio Theater 1940 Broadcast; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Among cinema’s many treasures, few are as delightfully entertaining as the musical pairings of Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney. Strike Up the Band is one of the brightest results of that talented collaboration. Brimming with youthful high spirits, Mickey and Judy are effervescent as high school kids who are ready and eager to climb the long ladder of success. He’s an energetic bandleader, she’s his lovelorn singer. Together, they sing and dance their way to the top, with a few bumps along the way! Of course, the film abounds in musical riches, from a rousing “Drummer Boy,” performed by Mickey and Judy, to Judy’s plaintive rendition of “(I Ain’t Got) Nobody.” There’s an all-out musical tribute to that forties dance craze, the conga (“Do the La Conga!”), and a stirring patriotic finale to the title song.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, this should satisfy those clamoring for more B&W 1940s titles from the Archives. Still, I do wish Warners would just have done a Rooney/Garland box set on blu. I suspect they are waiting to see how well this sells on blu before possibly releasing the other Mickey/Judy movies on blu.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Well, this should satisfy those clamoring for more B&W 1940s titles from the Archives. Still, I do wish Warners would just have done a Rooney/Garland box set on blu. I suspect they are waiting to see how well this sells on blu before possibly releasing the other Mickey/Judy movies on blu.

Perhaps but if this was the case I would think they would have chosen "Girl Crazy" with it's actual Gershwin score instead of "Strike Up The Band" where except for the title song most of the music from the original score was replaced by music by Roger Edens. However as Mickey said in "That's Entertainment" the plots for the Mickey / Judy musicals were suspiciously all alike . Only their names changed. I think like most releases, "Strike Up The Band" was the first of their films ready for blu ray. Perhaps "Babes In Arms", the first of their 4 Busby Berkeley musicals, ( he was fired from "Girl Crazy")
was not ready.

Here is the trailer for "Strike Up the Band"

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps but if this was the case I would think they would have chosen "Girl Crazy" with it's actual Gershwin score instead of "Strike Up The Band" where except for the title song most of the music from the original score was replaced by music by Roger Edens. However as Mickey said in "That's Entertainment" the plots for the Mickey / Judy musicals were suspiciously all alike . Only their names changed.

Here is the trailer for "Strike Up the Band"

Well, Girl Crazy does have June Allyson so yes, I agree with you :)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
And another musical! As far as I'm concerned, WAC doesn't need to announce anything I want for a few months! Personally, based on WAC'S previous releases, I'm not surprised this is a solo release, as I never expected WAC to do a box set of the Mickey/Judy films, especially considering RAH's comments on previous WAC blu releases from the thirties being "full restorations," which tells me they would be too expensive for WAC to do as a box set, with a lower price tag for all of them.

Last edited:

Richard M S

Screenwriter

Other than Mutiny On The Bounty and the 1939 set, 1940's Strike Up The Band may well be one of the earliest MGM films on blu ray.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Absolute Day One Purchase [...]
Same here, but there’s just one minor detail that needs to be answered. Which day is day one?
A release date might need to be posted.

BTW, “Strike Up the Band” won the 1940 Oscar for Best Sound, which adds to my anticipations.
And yah, it’ll be a first-time viewing. Can’t wait! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Same here, but there’s just one minor detail that needs to be answered. Which day is day one?
A release date might need to be posted.

BTW, “Strike Up the Band” won the 1940 Oscar for Best Sound, which adds to the anticipations.:thumbs-up-smiley:

The detail is of course not given by Warner in their Press Releases.

Past history suggests 2nd Tues in June will be the likely date so 6/9 is most likely
I think WAC normally announcing during the day in the order they'll be released, but that's less clear

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Thanks to Rick Bond for jumping in a thread about a film he has no interest in and making his thoughts known in no less than 5 different places. His opinion carries a lot of weight with me.

Yeah, like I made a comment about my excitement for these two release and he 'disliked' it? How odd. I didn't tell him or anyone else they should like it. I voiced a personal opinion about what I like. He dislikes my likes? Okay. Again, I don't think that's what the 'dislike' button is supposed to be used for, but okay.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks to Rick Bond for jumping in a thread about a film he has no interest in and making his thoughts known in no less than 5 different places. His opinion carries a lot of weight with me.
It doesn't matter how many times he dislikes somebody's posts it has zero impact on one's reaction score. Just ignore it as disliking a post doesn't negatively affect your score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks