What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Strike Up The Band (1940) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
*UPDATE*
NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan of best archival elements!
STRIKE UP THE BAND (1940)
Run Time 100:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO
Aspect Ratio 4 X 3 FULL FRAME, 1.37:1
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Introduction to the Film by Mickey Rooney (HD); Pete Smith Specialty Comedy Short "Wedding Bells"; Cartoon "Romeo in Rhythm"; "Do the La Conga" Stereo Remix Version (HD); "Leo is on the Air" Radio Promo; "Millions for Defense" (Audio Only); Lux Radio Theater 1940 Broadcast; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I agree GIRL CRAZY is the better film, but judging from the DVD it is also the film that would need the most work as some parts are in fairly rough shape. They might not be able to find the materials they need to bring it up to the Warners Archive standards.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Absolute Day One Purchase - especially since this is one of the dvds that almost everybody had trouble with in that Garland-Rooney dvd set.
I haven't watched my DVD of that in quite a while. I don't think I ever had a problem with it not playing properly. One thing I will say....that DVD box set was one of the best ones ever with the booklet and all those photos that were included with the DVDs.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'd much prefer For Me and My Gal but I can understand why so many people are so excited. Let's face it .. anything with Judy in it is way ahead of most else. I guess For Me and My Gal is getting held back because it's B & W and without the visual pop of a three-strip Technicolor presentation in prime condition. I'll probably find myself forcing myself to get it -- I'm so persuadable -- but I want For Me and My Gal!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd much prefer For Me and My Gal but I can understand why so many people are so excited. Let's face it .. anything with Judy in it is way ahead of most else. I guess For Me and My Gal is getting held back because it's B & W and without the visual pop of a three-strip Technicolor presentation in prime condition. I'll probably find myself forcing myself to get it -- I'm so persuadable -- but I want For Me and My Gal!
I'd rather have it or Ziegfeld Girl, and the latter has James Stewart, Lana Turner, and Hedy Lamarr as further inducements, But Strike Up the Band is in black and white along with these others. Or were you referring to Romance on the High Seas?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'd rather have it or Ziegfeld Girl, and the latter has James Stewart, Lana Turner, and Hedy Lamarr as further inducements, But Strike Up the Band is in black and white along with these others. Or were you referring to Romance on the High Seas?
Regardless of which he is referring to, I'm happy with both of those musicals coming, and I'm certainly glad for Strike Up The Band, which is now WAC's second new-to-blu, pre-1954 MGM musical (following last year's release of Summer Stock), so I hope this one sells well enough that they continue to release more from that era (of course, how soon it happens will be determined by what they can do at the moment and how long this pandemic keeps them closed down).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps but if this was the case I would think they would have chosen "Girl Crazy" with it's actual Gershwin score instead of "Strike Up The Band" where except for the title song most of the music from the original score was replaced by music by Roger Edens. However as Mickey said in "That's Entertainment" the plots for the Mickey / Judy musicals were suspiciously all alike . Only their names changed. I think like most releases, "Strike Up The Band" was the first of their films ready for blu ray. Perhaps "Babes In Arms", the first of their 4 Busby Berkeley musicals, ( he was fired from "Girl Crazy")
was not ready.

Here is the trailer for "Strike Up the Band"

Well, you got your wish in July!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the Blu-ray from WA of this film today. The transfer is, no surprise, beautiful, and the mono sound is solid.

I'd still love to snip out that entire "Nell of New Rochelle" sequence that stops the movie dead in its tracks (even with a few sight gags that always make me laugh). But what's great in the film: Judy's solos and duets with Mickey, remain wonderful, and even if "La Conga" goes on too long with not enough interesting choreography to sustain its length, to know they filmed it live with multiple cameras with most of the studio there watching it from above is still exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks