What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (12 Viewers)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
In the podcast at 23:27, talking about Ziegfeld Girl's big finale number, George F. says it's “a little bit of camera trickery which we can talk about in a moment,” but as it turns out they didn't get back to it. Anyone know what the camera trickery was?
Its Magic GIF by Heute-Show

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Regarding the "camera trickery" in the finale number of "Ziegfeld Girl" that Capt D McMars mentions, I presume this refers to the substitution of Judy Garland for Virginia Bruce at the top of the huge revolving staircase set they built for "The Great Ziegfeld" in 1946, the footage of which was reused in this film.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Regarding the "camera trickery" in the finale number of "Ziegfeld Girl" that Capt D McMars mentions, I presume this refers to the substitution of Judy Garland for Virginia Bruce at the top of the huge revolving staircase set they built for "The Great Ziegfeld" in 1946, the footage of which was reused in this film.
You mean 1936?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the "camera trickery" in the finale number of "Ziegfeld Girl" that Capt D McMars mentions, I presume this refers to the substitution of Judy Garland for Virginia Bruce at the top of the huge revolving staircase set they built for "The Great Ziegfeld" in 1936, the footage of which was reused in this film.

It really wasn't camera trickery. They filmed Judy Garland in a blonde wig and similar costume.
They probably recreated the top of the staircase with Garland on it. There is a noticeable cut during the pull back from Garland to the 1936 footage.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
It really wasn't camera trickery. They filmed Judy Garland in a blonde wig and similar costume.
They probably recreated the top of the staircase with Garland on it. There is a noticeable cut during the pull back from Garland to the 1936 footage.
I’ve tried to play both scenes together and it’s interesting to see that for Ziegfeld Girl, they used the same take (evidenced by a chorine at the top left adjusting her dress) but the curtains are different- closing from left and right or pouring down from the ceiling.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I noticed that. There are some Archive Blu-rays released in Germany (a Mediabook of They Were Expendable is released later this month - "Schnellboote vor Bataan"), but always a good time after the Warner release, so I'd recommend reading a review/comment before buying.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Pidax appear to be bootleggers.
Thank you, Doug. Not disputing, merely double-checking that you’re sure about this.

Wasn’t aware Pidax was bootleg and don’t recall them ever being cited as such in the many discussions and prominent threads about piracy on HTF, nor on product reviews on Amazon.de.

Several respected regulars here recommended the Pidax release of The Shootist on Robin9’s venerable Germany Blu-rays thread some years ago. If they are bootleggers, then it’s surprising that Warner hasn’t taken them to task for releasing The Adventures of Robin Hood in Germany last year. After all, “this isn’t Spain” (AMFAS).

I was hoping that if this was a genuine new master, then maybe it won’t be long before we see WAC release it on Blu.

I appreciate your warning and won’t buy this, but I’d be grateful if you or others here could confirm Pidax’s legitimacy.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I'd be surprised if Pidax were bootleggers. I've bought a few, & like any other boutique labels, some releases look great & some not so great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks