What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (4 Viewers)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
A Star Is Born from quality elements is something I've been waiting for for years, but I wasn't really expecting the original 3-strip camera negatives!

I WAS expecting them, just a lot earlier than this. Ron Haver rediscovered the camera negatives in a disused vault under the old Technicolor building at Warner Bros back circa 1981. I don't know what kind of work was needed on them, though. They must not have felt it was a commercially sound decision before now (that's just supposition on my part, though.)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I WAS expecting them, just a lot earlier than this. Ron Haver rediscovered the camera negatives in a disused vault under the old Technicolor building at Warner Bros back circa 1981. I don't know what kind of work was needed on them, though. They must not have felt it was a commercially sound decision before now (that's just supposition on my part, though.)

Yeah, I suspect the film’s public domain status may have discouraged them from doing anything with the film at that point. Though it’s quite evident that the Archive is starting to get bolder as far as public domain films with this and Santa Fe Trail last year.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I figured when the remake came out and the original didn’t, that the moment to get it out there had passed - what a surprise!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I figured when the remake came out and the original didn’t, that the moment to get it out there had passed - what a surprise!

I can't HELP but think the negatives needed work. Haver makes no mention of the state in which they were found in his book, just that it was a major find (one he would have been more excited about had he not been on a quest for missing material from the 1954 version when he, ironically enough, came across them.)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can't HELP but think the negatives needed work. Haver makes no mention of the state in which they were found in his book, just that it was a major find (one he would have been more excited about had he not been on a quest for missing material from the 1954 version when he, ironically enough, came across them.)

I love that book!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
COMING SOON!
NEW 2022 1080p HD Masters from 4K scans of original Cinerama Camera Negatives!
TWO-DISC DELUXE SPECIAL EDITION
THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (1962)
DELUXE 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION
2-BD50s
Disc 1-Restored Cinerama image letterboxed
Disc 2-Restored Cinerama image in SMILEBOX format, to approximate the curved theater screen experience in the home
Disc 1-Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.89 Letterbox
Disc 2-Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.89 Smilebox
Audio Specs DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround
135 Minutes-Roadshow presentation with Overture, Intermission , Entr'acte, and Exit Music.
SPECIAL FEATURES: New featurettes RESUING A FANTASY CLASSIC (HD); THE EPIC ART OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (HD); THE WONDERFUL CAREER OF GEORGE PAL (HD), and more, plus multiple trailers and audio pieces
The story behind the brothers who created beloved fairy tales come to life creators, with reenactments of three of their stories, tells the story of the brothers' long struggle for recognition and the sacrifices they and their families made to achieve their goals. Between dreamer Wilhelm (Laurence Harvey) and practical Jacob (Karl Boehm), some marvelous fairy tales develop. In "The Dancing Princess," a princess (Yvette Mimieux) falls in love with a charming woodsman (Russ Tamblyn). In "The Cobbler and the Elves," a Christmas miracle of dedicated labor helps the cobbler out when he most needs it. And in the last story, a fire-breathing dragon threatens the kingdom until a lowly servant (Buddy Hackett) saves the day. Shot on location in West Germany, the innovative production features Puppetoons, a technique developed by Oscar-winning special effects expert George Pal. Meticulously restored from its original Cinerama negatives, this fanciful delight is a treat for audiences of all ages.....and this Deluxe Two Disc Edition gives the viewer the opportunity to watch the film either in a traditional letterbox format, or in the Smilebox format which attempts to re-create the immersive Cinerama experience with a simulated curve to the screen. Both versions bring together the three original Cinerama panels with virtually no trace of the lines that joined them together when originally projected in theaters back in 1962.
Warner Archive extends its deepest thanks to Cinerama restorationists David Strohmaier and Tom March, and Decurion Corp. (parent company of Cinerama Inc.), who partnered with us to bring0 this project to fruition.

View attachment 125956
This should make a lot of people happy!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
View attachment 125953

COMING SOON!
NEW 2022 1080p HD Master from 4K scan of its original Nitrate Technicolor Camera Negatives!
A STAR IS BORN (1937)-RESTORED EDITION
BD50
Color
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37 with Side Mattes
Audio Specs DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 MONO
111 Minutes
SPECIAL FEATURES: Two Lux Radio Theater broadcasts; Janet Gaynor and Robert Montgomery (9/13/37) Judy Garland and Walter Pidgeon (12/28/42) [audio only]; Classic WB cartoon- "A STAR IS HATCHED" (1938) (HD); Classic WB shorts: "MAL HALLETT & HIS ORCHESTRA" (1937) (HD); "TAKING THE COUNT" (1937) (HD); "ALIBI MARK" (1937) (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Producer David O. Selznick turned his attention to Hollywood with this 1937 original classic directed by William A. Wellman. Its Academy Award-winning screenplay co-written by Dorothy Parker tells the story of hopeful, young would-be actress Esther Blodgett (Academy Award winner Janet Gaynor) whose career is launched by movie star Norman Maine (Academy Award winner Fredric March), who also wins the young actress' heart. Esther becomes leading lady Vicki Lester and Mrs. Norman Maine, but as Maine's career flounders, he sinks into an abyss of alcoholism. Esther chooses to sacrifice her stardom to care for her husband, but he will not allow Esther to abandon her dreams for him. Remade three times in years ahead, this original version has finally undergone a meticulous restoration and has been remastered from its original nitrate Technicolor camera negatives, especially for this Warner Archive Blu-ray release. The result is a sterling presentation of a landmark in film history for this new restored edition.
This is excellent news! And David, this will definitely be an upgrade. I own the Kino release, also, and the PQ is ok, but not great.

Since the Archive released Santa Fe Trail last year and now this possibly that bodes well for other PD titles such as Life With Father, Royal Wedding, Till the Clouds Roll By and Father's Little Dividend. We shall see and I'm looking forward to Grimm as well. Once a title they said could never be released on Blu-ray much less DVD due to the quality of the available film elements. Amazing how far advanced digital restoration tools have become.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Can someone please assist me with the name of Ron Haver’s book please?
Thank you

It is essential reading:

A Star Is Born: The Making of the 1954 Movie and Its 1983 Restoration​

Richard is right on the money, Bernard!

What makes it such a great essential is that it's as much a well researched, detailed look at the "Scope" revolution in Hollywood when the movie was made during 1953-1954 as it is about the movie itself. The second part of the book, about the movie's reconstruction and restoration, reads like a detective thriller. I can't recommend it enough.

Haver's OTHER great book, DAVID O. SELZNICK'S HOLLYWOOD, is also an essential, by the way, and may very well be the cadillac of lavish, informative "coffee table" movie books you really don't see much anymore. That one covers Selznick's entire fascinating career (including the making of the 1937 STAR and Selznick's relationship with the Technicolor process) and is packed with an abundance of gorgeous photos. It's slightly less "cover to cover" readable due to its size and scope (the original 1980 edition, worthwhile tracking down if possible, was on heavy glossy paper and included a copper plate reproduction of the KING KONG premiere program) but every library should include BOTH :)

EDIT: The HOLLYWOOD book is SO big that the "Gone with the Wind" title referenced in the links Robert Crawford posted above is just the section on GWTW from the original book that has been re-published on its own.

Last edited:

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I have the Kino release of A Star is Born. Since it's coming from WAC this does sound like an upgrade!
As the Kino comes from a Technicolor dye-transfer print and the WAC will be from a recombine of scans of the original 3-strip camera negatives, the difference in terms of sharpness, color registration and contrast range should be spectacular.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
It is essential reading:

A Star Is Born: The Making of the 1954 Movie and Its 1983 Restoration​

A little side note: If you go on Amazon and read the comments, 6% give it only One Star. The reason?
"This is horrific! I didn't pay for stills. This is not a movie, it's part movie, part photo montage" etc. etc.
One has to wonder in what world these reviewers live.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks