What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (21 Viewers)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I would love to see a blu-ray of the 1982 movie The Year of Living Dangerously, directed by Peter Weir, who of course also directed The Truman Show, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Master and Commander, etc. I believe Warner Home Video owns the rights to this film, although it was originally released by MGM. Linda Hunt was awarded an Oscar for her role in the movie. The cinematography by Russell Boyd is striking, and there's a wonderful and sometimes haunting score by Maurice Jarre. Roger Ebert in his review gave the film 4 out of 4 stars, and it stands at 88% with RT, with their summary reading: "Both a smart, suspenseful tale of intrigue and a sweeping romance, The Year of Living Dangerously features excellent performances from Mel Gibson as a journalist and Sigourney Weaver as a staffer at the British Embassy in Jakarta during the political unrest in Indonesia."

The last release I think was on DVD more than 20 years ago.

Original trailer (with spoilers) and the original poster.

year of living.jpeg

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
YoLD is currently streaming in HD on the Criterion Channel.
Thanks. How does it look? I actually purchased from Amazon the streaming version of The Year of Living Dangerously some years ago, but it's unrestored and looks slightly rough in a few places. Nothing major, just some bits of dust, etc. I'm hoping for that magic Warner Archive "just like opening night" experience. I don't currently have the Criterion Channel, but maybe I should get it. Don't they also have Ryan's Daughter, and even in a newly restored version?

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the sad and good part of the holiday season is the idle time that gives way to research, with George Feltenstein back at the helm, and the release of Gold Diggers of 1933 got me looking again over at Nitrateville, at previous releases of the Gold Diggers series. 1923 and 1929.

I wonder if WAC has contacted this individual, he has stated that he was in talks with BFI, but my assumption is that WB may have a better chance of this being completed and looking as good as possible.

would make for a great bonus feature or release if it could be completed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
granted we all want these great releases, and well since repertory theaters are a diminishing thing since the beginning of the last year, as stated HBO Max is the wave of the future. I hope those two lesser Hitchcock titles (Stage Fright and Mr. and Mrs. Smith) make it on there, but seriously, hopefully make their way here as well..
George Feltenstein stated on the latest "The Extras" podcast that after "Stage Fright" BD release this month, WAC only has one more Hitchcock title that they own in need of a Blu-ray release which is Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It's not coming in 2022, but that he's trying to do so in the coming years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Enough with the musical requests, as how about those of us that love westerns.:D If George Feltenstein reads this thread, I hope he gives "3 Godfathers" (1948) some consideration for a future WAC Blu-ray release. The iTunes HD digital is pretty good, but it still doesn't do justice to this beautifully filmed western in Technicolor. A Blu-ray release for next December will be just fine.

View attachment 122367
George Feltenstein,

This HTF "nitpicky connoisseur" requests some more "film noirs" as well as westerns.;) Anyhow, you don't see me complaining about "Escape from Fort Bravo" as I think you guys did a fantastic job with that particular title.:) Yes, I want some 4K disc releases, but I guess 1930s and 1940s black and white films are not candidates for that type of home video release. Just some comical references based on what George stated on that latest podcast.

One more thing, the WAC output will be kind of slow in the early part of 2022, but will pick up as the year goes on as MPI has a traffic jam of work going on.

Here is a direct link to that podcast:

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Has anyone heard a recent rumor about the release of Raintree County on Blu Ray? A gentleman from the fan-made Facebook WAC group shared the recent Extras podcast and said George Feltenstein made such an announcement. I’ve listened to the podcast twice and heard no such announcement. So confused!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anyone heard a recent rumor about the release of Raintree County on Blu Ray? A gentleman from the fan-made Facebook WAC group shared the recent Extras podcast and said George Feltenstein made such an announcement. I’ve listened to the podcast twice and heard no such announcement. So confused!
George didn't make any such announcement on this latest podcast.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI

George Feltenstein,

One more thing, the WAC output will be kind of slow in the early part of 2022, but will pick up as the year goes on as MPI has a traffic jam of work going on.
Just as well. I still have quite a few new releases on my To Buy List. Fortunately, Amazon keeps coming up with new Deals that drop the price WAY down, so I've been able to pick up several during the holidays. And the quality of all of them has been astounding!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Too many Technicolor goodies to list, but definitely would love to see complete restorations of

Holiday in Mexico
Yolanda and the Thief
Till the Clouds Roll By
That Midnight Kiss
Scaramouche
Bathing Beauty
Best Foot Forward
Luxury Liner
Anchors Aweigh (newly remastered)
Thousands Cheer
Lassie Come Home
High Society
Nancy Goes To Rio
Words and Music
Lovely To Look At
This Is The Army
Broadway Rhythm
Kismet (1944)
Little Women
The Toast of New Orleans
Easy to Love
A Date With Judy
The Merry Widow
Small Town Girl
Royal Wedding
Rich, Young and Pretty
The Belle of New York
Give A Girl a Break
Sweethearts
Bittersweet
On An Island With You
Smiling Through
Thrill of a Romance
Easy to Wed
Three Little Words
Fiesta
Three Daring Daughters
On the Town (newly remastered)
This Time For Keeps
Summer Holiday
The Barkleys of Broadway
Wonder Man
Dallas
Duchess of Idaho
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Up in Arms
The Flame and the Arrow
Two Weeks with Love
Captain Horatio Hornblower

But can we also get the B&W treasures on Blu too?

Goodbye Mr. Chips
Random Harvest
Mrs. Parkington
Babes in Arms
Babes on Broadway
Rosalie
The Great Ziegfeld
Ziegfeld Girl
Captain Blood
In This Our Life
All This and Heaven Too
Humoresque
A Woman's Face
Week-end at the Waldorf
The Clock
For Me and My Gal
Boom Town
Idiot's Delight
China Seas
Marie Antoinette
The Divorcee
The Barretts of Wimpole Street
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Andy Hardy films
The Tarzan movies
The 'Whistling in the Dark' franchise
Broadway Melodies of 1929, 1936/38
When Ladies Meet
Susan and God
Honky Tonk
Test Pilot

...just for starters. No, I'm not greedy. Not too much. But I am aging rapidly with the likelihood never to see a good many of these in hi-def in my lifetime. Regrets, indeed!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Like David, I've been patiently awaiting Captain Blood for too many years to mention.
And while I hope the film noir and Western afficianados get their due, I refuse to give up on my hopes for a continued solid ration of old musicals. Here's to a Fred and Ginger box set, and to Two Weeks with Love, Three Little Words, For Me and My Gal and many many more in an endless cascade of golden melodies.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Too many Technicolor goodies to list, but definitely would love to see complete restorations of

Holiday in Mexico
Yolanda and the Thief
Till the Clouds Roll By
That Midnight Kiss
Scaramouche
Bathing Beauty
Best Foot Forward
Luxury Liner
Anchors Aweigh (newly remastered)
Thousands Cheer
Lassie Come Home
High Society
Nancy Goes To Rio
Words and Music
Lovely To Look At
This Is The Army
Broadway Rhythm
Kismet (1944)
Little Women
The Toast of New Orleans
Easy to Love
A Date With Judy
The Merry Widow
Small Town Girl
Royal Wedding
Rich, Young and Pretty
The Belle of New York
Give A Girl a Break
Sweethearts
Bittersweet
On An Island With You
Smiling Through
Thrill of a Romance
Easy to Wed
Three Little Words
Fiesta
Three Daring Daughters
On the Town (newly remastered)
This Time For Keeps
Summer Holiday
The Barkleys of Broadway
Wonder Man
Dallas
Duchess of Idaho
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Up in Arms
The Flame and the Arrow
Two Weeks with Love
Captain Horatio Hornblower

But can we also get the B&W treasures on Blu too?

Goodbye Mr. Chips
Random Harvest
Mrs. Parkington
Babes in Arms
Babes on Broadway
Rosalie
The Great Ziegfeld
Ziegfeld Girl
Captain Blood
In This Our Life
All This and Heaven Too
Humoresque
A Woman's Face
Week-end at the Waldorf
The Clock
For Me and My Gal
Boom Town
Idiot's Delight
China Seas
Marie Antoinette
The Divorcee
The Barretts of Wimpole Street
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Andy Hardy films
The Tarzan movies
The 'Whistling in the Dark' franchise
Broadway Melodies of 1929, 1936/38
When Ladies Meet
Susan and God
Honky Tonk
Test Pilot

...just for starters. No, I'm not greedy. Not too much. But I am aging rapidly with the likelihood never to see a good many of these in hi-def in my lifetime. Regrets, indeed!
No one mentions Anthony Adverse

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks