What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (6 Viewers)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Indeed! A great sweeping saga with a marvellous Korngold score. The DVD is, unfortunately, rather poor quality.
I haven't ever seen it, but it sounds good.

aa.jpeg
aa2.jpeg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Too many Technicolor goodies to list, but definitely would love to see complete restorations of

Holiday in Mexico
Yolanda and the Thief
Till the Clouds Roll By
That Midnight Kiss
Scaramouche
Bathing Beauty
Best Foot Forward
Luxury Liner
Anchors Aweigh (newly remastered)
Thousands Cheer
Lassie Come Home
High Society
Nancy Goes To Rio
Words and Music
Lovely To Look At
This Is The Army
Broadway Rhythm
Kismet (1944)
Little Women
The Toast of New Orleans
Easy to Love
A Date With Judy
The Merry Widow
Small Town Girl
Royal Wedding
Rich, Young and Pretty
The Belle of New York
Give A Girl a Break
Sweethearts
Bittersweet
On An Island With You
Smiling Through
Thrill of a Romance
Easy to Wed
Three Little Words
Fiesta
Three Daring Daughters
On the Town (newly remastered)
This Time For Keeps
Summer Holiday
The Barkleys of Broadway
Wonder Man
Dallas
Duchess of Idaho
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Up in Arms
The Flame and the Arrow
Two Weeks with Love
Captain Horatio Hornblower

But can we also get the B&W treasures on Blu too?

Goodbye Mr. Chips
Random Harvest
Mrs. Parkington
Babes in Arms
Babes on Broadway
Rosalie
The Great Ziegfeld
Ziegfeld Girl
Captain Blood
In This Our Life
All This and Heaven Too
Humoresque
A Woman's Face
Week-end at the Waldorf
The Clock
For Me and My Gal
Boom Town
Idiot's Delight
China Seas
Marie Antoinette
The Divorcee
The Barretts of Wimpole Street
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Andy Hardy films
The Tarzan movies
The 'Whistling in the Dark' franchise
Broadway Melodies of 1929, 1936/38
When Ladies Meet
Susan and God
Honky Tonk
Test Pilot

...just for starters. No, I'm not greedy. Not too much. But I am aging rapidly with the likelihood never to see a good many of these in hi-def in my lifetime. Regrets, indeed!
You forgot some important Silent Films in that mix

1924 Greed
1926 The Scarlet Letter
1928 The Wind

as each gets closer to the century mark, it would be nice to see these treasures shine again, so as to no be forgotten.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Too many Technicolor goodies to list, but definitely would love to see complete restorations of

Holiday in Mexico
Yolanda and the Thief
Till the Clouds Roll By
That Midnight Kiss
Scaramouche
Bathing Beauty
Best Foot Forward
Luxury Liner
Anchors Aweigh (newly remastered)
Thousands Cheer
Lassie Come Home
High Society
Nancy Goes To Rio
Words and Music
Lovely To Look At
This Is The Army
Broadway Rhythm
Kismet (1944)
Little Women
The Toast of New Orleans
Easy to Love
A Date With Judy
The Merry Widow
Small Town Girl
Royal Wedding
Rich, Young and Pretty
The Belle of New York
Give A Girl a Break
Sweethearts
Bittersweet
On An Island With You
Smiling Through
Thrill of a Romance
Easy to Wed
Three Little Words
Fiesta
Three Daring Daughters
On the Town (newly remastered)
This Time For Keeps
Summer Holiday
The Barkleys of Broadway
Wonder Man
Dallas
Duchess of Idaho
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Up in Arms
The Flame and the Arrow
Two Weeks with Love
Captain Horatio Hornblower

But can we also get the B&W treasures on Blu too?

Goodbye Mr. Chips
Random Harvest
Mrs. Parkington
Babes in Arms
Babes on Broadway
Rosalie
The Great Ziegfeld
Ziegfeld Girl
Captain Blood
In This Our Life
All This and Heaven Too
Humoresque
A Woman's Face
Week-end at the Waldorf
The Clock
For Me and My Gal
Boom Town
Idiot's Delight
China Seas
Marie Antoinette
The Divorcee
The Barretts of Wimpole Street
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Andy Hardy films
The Tarzan movies
The 'Whistling in the Dark' franchise
Broadway Melodies of 1929, 1936/38
When Ladies Meet
Susan and God
Honky Tonk
Test Pilot

...just for starters. No, I'm not greedy. Not too much. But I am aging rapidly with the likelihood never to see a good many of these in hi-def in my lifetime. Regrets, indeed!
I'd buy every film on this list, plus one more very few talk about anymore, unfortunately: A Guy Named Joe.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
You forgot some important Silent Films in that mix

1924 Greed
1926 The Scarlet Letter
1928 The Wind

as each gets closer to the century mark, it would be nice to see these treasures shine again, so as to no be forgotten.

GREED and SCARLET LETTER are now public domain, so there's even less incentive to release them.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I haven't seen this Shakespeare adaptation from 1935, but it sounds interesting.

View attachment 124132 View attachment 124133
Don't. It's terrible. It's my favorite Shakespeare play, and they BUTCHERED it. Mickey Rooney as Puck was horribly miscast. They cut important lines and scenes to save time. The only good thing about it is the Oscar-winning Cinematography. Olivia De Havilland is decent.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't. It's terrible. It's my favorite Shakespeare play, and they BUTCHERED it. Mickey Rooney as Puck was horribly miscast. They cut important lines and scenes to save time. The only good thing about it is the Oscar-winning Cinematography. Olivia De Havilland is decent.
Ouch! It's not great, but it's decent. Also, Cagney was good too along with Olivia.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I haven't seen this Shakespeare adaptation from 1935, but it sounds interesting.

View attachment 124132 View attachment 124133

I agree that it is not a great film, but it is somewhat interesting to me because it was directed by Max Reinhardt. He had been known primarily as a stage director, so you get at least a sense of what his stage production from the late 20's might have been like, along with Mendelssohn's music. But as battlebeast says, it is not really a good performance of the play, and Mickey Rooney becomes insufferable very quickly.

My favorite version of the play is from the BBC series of Shakespeare's complete plays from the late 70's to early 80's (The Shakespeare Plays). The 1981 production featured a young Helen Mirren as Titania, Peter MacEnery as Oberon and Phil Daniels as a cockney Puck. Director Elijah Moshinsky described his production as "a playful homage to Max Reinhardt". It has a much more spectacular set than most of the plays of the series, and a very effective music score.

The film is interesting as a historical curio due to Reinhardt and its being Olivia De Havilland's film debut and the use of Mendelssohn's score, but it doesn't hold my interest and the story is a tad hard to follow.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Ouch! It's not great, but it's decent. Also, Cagney was good too along with Olivia.
Yeah, I've never felt it's reputation as a stinker was warranted either. Lots to admire, chiefly, the sublime production values and the exquisite cinematography. Casting on the whole was solid. Rooney's Puck is a wee too 'puckish' for my tastes, but even it has its manic charm.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hopefully the Weissmuller Tarzans arent far behind :)
Would love a complete uncut version of Tarzan Escapes to turn up - maybe it resides with the rumored complete print of The Magnificent Ambersons south of the border? Also surprised no mention of 1935's David Copperfield especially since if memory serves they did find to OCN?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I agree that it is not a great film, but it is somewhat interesting to me because it was directed by Max Reinhardt. He had been known primarily as a stage director, so you get at least a sense of what his stage production from the late 20's might have been like, along with Mendelssohn's music. But as battlebeast says, it is not really a good performance of the play, and Mickey Rooney becomes insufferable very quickly.

My favorite version of the play is from the BBC series of Shakespeare's complete plays from the late 70's to early 80's (The Shakespeare Plays). The 1981 production featured a young Helen Mirren as Titania, Peter MacEnery as Oberon and Phil Daniels as a cockney Puck. Director Elijah Moshinsky described his production as "a playful homage to Max Reinhardt". It has a much more spectacular set than most of the plays of the series, and a very effective music score.

The film is interesting as a historical curio due to Reinhardt and its being Olivia De Havilland's film debut and the use of Mendelssohn's score, but it doesn't hold my interest and the story is a tad hard to follow.
I LOVE the BBC Shakespears. Some of the best versions (and ONLY versions) ever filmed.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
One of the things I despise the most about this production is the butchering of Puck's most famous lines: (From memory)

Captain of our fairy band;
Helena is here, at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Will we their fond pageant see?
Lord what fools these mortals be!

They cut entirely the first five lines, and very young miscast Mickey Rooney squawks the final line like a bad Shatner impersonation, accentuating the final 'be' as "beeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

My favorite line torn to shreds. :(

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I know the complete collection of the BBC Shakespeare Plays have been released on DVD by Ambrose Video in Region 2, but has the complete collection ever been released on DVD in Region 1? I know that Ambrose Video released four 5-DVD box sets titled Comedies, Histories, Tragedies and Tragedies II which cover 20 of the 37 plays.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There is the Peter Hall directed Royal Shakesphere Company 1968 film version of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" with Diana Rigg as Helena and Judi Dench as Titania, and Helen Mirren as Hemia.
available on youtube. It is only available to view on youtube.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have it on one of the streaming services. Looks OK but needs work to qualify for Warner Archive Blu-ray release.
The same here, I purchased it for $4.99 about three years ago, but it needs a lot of work like you said if it's ever released on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks