What's new

Warner announces Forbidden Planet for November (1 Viewer)

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Okay, here is a small test between the MGM DVD and HD version.

DVD (upscaled by PH CS2 to 1920x1080)
[url=http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4797/dvd1px3.th.jpg] [/url]
(I used the image posted in this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...=171775&page=2 )

HD:
[url=http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4507/hd1qx7.th.jpg] [/url]

Here is two other screens from the HD version that someone with the DVD could post the same. If anyone want a specific scene, late me know.

[url=http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2641/hd2hu8.th.jpg] [/url]

[url=http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9392/hd3gm6.th.jpg] [/url]

Now people maybe understand why my MGM laserdisc is up the attic (same image as the DVD) :D

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
That's an awfully blurry DVD cap....looks like LD to me. Here's hoping the DVD released in November far exceed this. The HD caps look more like standard DVD resolution to my eye. Guess only time will tell.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mattias for posting these HD caps!!!

Yes, the DVD in this case looks like a blurry laser (it always has). The HD image actually looks more like a good super-bit DVD or something... so there's hope that a newly mastered WB DVD might look closer to the HD quality posted here.

Fingers crossed!

p.s. what I noticed about the film print I saw was the amazing color in this print. That's something that HD can do better than DVD for sure!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Man, look at the difference in definition on Anne Francis' necklace - woah!

For what is likely an over-printed, highly popular film shot on mid-50s Eastmancolor stock and with Bausch & Laumb lenses, those HD captures look stunning. Now, I'm really desperate to get my hands on the new DVD set!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Ha-ha!

What about that other color-Cinemascope sci-fi film of 1956, Satellite in the Sky? Warner distributed it in the U.S. originally, but after that it only showed up on TV and pan and scan VHS in black and white. The production company, Tridelta Productions did not produce any other films. Edward J. Danziger and Harry Lee Danziger were the producers and they did not produce any else of note, other than the immortal, Devil Girl from Mars in 1954. I assume that the Danziger's Estate controls the films now, though. A pity, as it sounds like an intriguing British sci-fi film. Legendary cinematographer, Georges Périnal worked his magic on this one.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mattias, thanks for posting those HD images. They're great!

The resolution is terrific. You can really see clearly all the studio lights reflecting onto the plexiglass domed windscreen on the Robby transport. And the blue part that the plexiglass domes are attached to clearly look like metal 4 legged office chair bases.

Also amazing is the clarity to see hair and skin on the actors, and textures on the set and costume fabrics. Can't wait to see the disc. And what to get, the standard definition disc or upgrade to an HD player!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
WOW.....those are beautiful. Thank you Mattias.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Curt_B

Agent
>>What about that other color-Cinemascope sci-fi film of 1956, Satellite in the Sky?
-------------
ah HA! again-I remember that one from TV in Los Angeles, and I rather enjoyed it. The chances of it coming out are-perhaps slimmer than my winning the LOTTO?
---
And the screen caps are great! On the vehicle, you can see ALL of the overhead studio lighting in all its glory :)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the idea of a girl wearing a mini-skirt, NOT for the reason of attracting men, with her being asexual is awesome! The film is sometimes derided for being silly, cheesy or light, but for me, in that regard, I see it as the Wizard of Oz of outer space movies.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Kudos to WB.

If only Universal spent as much time on the equally important THIS ISLAND EARTH... for without the success of TIE, FORBIDDEN PLANET may have never been!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I always thought that Star Wars was the Wizard of Oz of space movies. (Luke = Dorothy, the innocent farm kid dreaming of adventures far from home, C3PO = the Tin Woodsman, always ready to fall to pieces, Chewbacca the Cowardly Lion and Han as the Scarecrow - in desperate need of a brain. R2 is, of course, Toto. The whole thing really does track quite well, when you stop to think about it. It is frighteningly plausible, the kind of thing someone could turn into a doctoral dissertation that looked just serious enough that your advisor would have to accept it. :D)

Regards,

Joe

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I mean that the style of the film, that old-school MGM magic presentation, rather than the plot, themes, etc. Poor wording on my part. But Lucas copped from almost everyone and everything in the world of Cinema and fantasy literature, so your right on the money, Joseph! Also, did you know that you can sync-up Star Wars to the Kiss album, Alive! - try it!

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
FP was MGM's first attempt at sci-fi, and is a winner. Alot of time and money was spent on it,especially back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks