1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner announces Forbidden Planet for November

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FrankXS, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Wow, missed this thread till today. Very exciting news indeed. So many great UE's coming out this year, but this one is tops!

An earlier poster mentioned the extras on the Criterion laserdisc, there were quite a few there, but a few of the extras on this new UE sound different. One thing I didn't see mentioned on the UE is the cut scene that is on the Criterion of a slight difference in the ending when Adams marries Alta and has that last speech about how Morbius' greatness will someday again shine. The released version has a jump cut during that last speech where a line is cut.

Can't wait to see this as well.

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Warner is really pouring it on thick. Two highly awaited releases this year. This is fantastic!

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

The problem with Criterion extras is that they are owned by Criterion, which created the original content that goes into them. In the past some studios have been unwilling to license them from The Criterion Collection - or Criterion has refused to license them and/or asked too high a price (and the studios decided it would be cheaper to just produce their own documentaries, etc.)

In the early days of DVD, when laserdisc was still competing with the new format, Criterion often flat-out refused to license its content. Then for a time it used its extras as leverage for getting the studios to allow them to release certain films under license. I'm not sure where they stand on the issue now, or if many (or any) studio releases include extras originally produced by Criterion.

Since laserdisc is dead and the studios prefer to release their own Criterion-style special editions in the broader DVD market, it seems to me that half a loaf would be better than none for Criterion, but I don't run the place.

Regards,

Joe

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    I assume from things I have read that Criterion sometimes barters with studios for getting films from their back catalog in exchange (along with the fee of course) for leasing out their supplemental material.....as I say, I assume that is the way it works at least some of the time with Criterion.....but I could be totally off base with this.

5. Nelson Au

The question I would have though is where did Criterion get their materials for the Forbidden Planet laserdisc, or the other film projects for that matter.

If the materials from the Criterion FP LD were from the studio itself, then wouldn't the studio have originals and would have the rights to use them for the new DVD. Or, in many cases, perhaps the materials are in private collections from the people who may have worked on the film in the first place. So then the materials would have to be collected and deals stuck to use it. But in the end, isn't this all the property (initially created for the film during production) the property of the studio, MGM in this case? And couldn't Warner use it, assuming all the permissions were made from MGM.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Certainly any footage from the film, out-takes, studio-produced publicity materials, trailer, etc. would be the property of the studio. But any commentary tracks recorded (and paid for) by Criterion, any original interviews they produced or documentary footage they shot would belong to them. In fact, a Criterion-produced "making of" documentary would belong to them, not the studio. Any footage from the original film would have been licensed for that use. But the original footage, narration, any original music would all be the property of Criterion. If WB tried to do a shot-for-shot copy of a Criterion documentary with substantially simllar narration they would be violating Criterion's copyright even if every frame in both pieces was from a Warner-controlled film. Once they licensed the footage and assembled it in a unique form, Criterion would have created a new work, separate from the raw footage, and would own that work.

Regards,

Joe

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

As far as I'm aware, Criterion's supplementary section consisted mostly of a huge illustrated text essay, with numerous stills and a section featuring deleted scenes and unfinished footage from a VHS copy of the workprint. Everything aside from the commissioned text itself could just about be transferred, as long as the materials can be tracked down once again (I can't imagine this would be much of a problem). I'd love to see the original screen treatment Fatal Planet appearing on the new DVD, as well as all the behind-the-scenes stills, designs, ephemera and other stuff, but Warner seem sadly averse to non-video material nowadays.

8. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Have seen the HD version I know that it can look MUCH better than the DVD we have now. I will wait for a HD version.

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

I've never seen the Criterion Forbidden Planet, and so addressing the broader question of what kind of content Criterion might own and be able to withhold from the studios. I agree that from your description it sounds like this isn't much that couldn't be recreated by WB. (If the illustrated essay wasn't created expressly for Criterion, but was adapted from a published source, even that might be available to WB.)

Regards,

Joe

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

[​IMG] Gee, I knew that from seeing the laserdisc version. But what's this you say? An HD version? And you've seen it? Why didn't you say something before? You really shouldn't hold out on us like that... [​IMG]

(Just having a bit of fun. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

11. Nelson Au

Joeseph-

The Criterion Forbidden Planet has no documentary or fluffy interviews. As mentioned above, it's all text based and Criterion created material.

The extras from the Criterion laserdisc that I refer to that would be great to see on the WB disc are the following:

The cut line from the ending
    Alternative opening shot that's a rough cut
    Costume test stills
    Set stills
    Prop stills
    Robby the Robot, half assembled with actor inside still
    etc, etc.

There were a ton of black and white stills that the modern DVD generation may not appreciate as much as the LD crowd or hard core fans, or film historians would appreciate.

12. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

still waiting for a posted screen-cap from that HD version to compare against a screen-cap of the SD DVD!

c'mon... show us how much better it is!

dave [​IMG]

13. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

The HD version was on one of the DirecTV HD channels a few months ago.

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    Yes, it was. And I have been asking someone...ANYONE to post some screen grabs.....(sob sob) ....oh Pleeeeease! [​IMG]

15. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

I really don't think there would be a HD version out yet, since it has a November release. As far as a HD version on DT, how do you know it was an actual HD version?

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Yeah, because we're always getting all that fake HD content on our HD channels. [​IMG] And of course no hi-def DVD has been or will be released before the announced November release. No one has so much as suggested such a thing. We're asking for screen grabs from the televised HD version we keep hearing about and which people assert exists as a computer file.

Regards,

Joe

17. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I've been planning on getting the new edition of FP for as long as its been rumored, and I usually don't go in for big packages with gifts, statues, etc., but this one sounds very cool.

18. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

Can't wait!!

19. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

I fix it later today!

20. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Is this available for pre-order anywhere yet? I'm getting antsy. [​IMG]