What's new

War Of The Worlds not stereo? (1 Viewer)

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know why the War Of The Worlds Region 1 DVD isnot stereo while the rest of the planet's DVDs are in stereo?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean by "rest of the planet's DVDs"? There are a number of DVDs in mono.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
That's what I was wondering also.

The LaserDisc that Paramount released in 1993 was in Stereo and clearly states that on the back "1st Release with Stereo Sound - Music and Effects on 2nd Audio"

So Paramount clearly had an earlier transfer that was in Stereo and why they didn't release it in the same manner on DVD, is beyond me.

Also they release When Worlds Collide in 1993 and released it in it's original Mono soundtrack. The War of the Worlds LD also included a Mono Soundtrack on an analog track.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
What do you mean by "rest of the planet's DVDs"? There are a number of DVDs in mono.
I mean all the other War of the World DVD from region 2/4 are stereo and mono while the region 1 is just mono. Is there any reason for this. A rights issue maybe?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
The LD's stereo was a beautiful remix. It's a shame Paramount didn't include it on the DVD (and one reason I still own my LD player!)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
WAR OF THE WORLDS was released theatrically in true stereo sound in 1953, as were many other Paramount features that year. Unfortunately, that original 3 track mag (left, center, right) is lost. What exists now on video is a new re-mix from original dialogue and effects tracks.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
WAR OF THE WORLDS was released theatrically in true stereo sound in 1953, as were many other Paramount features that year. Unfortunately, that original 3 track mag (left, center, right) is lost. What exists now on video is a new re-mix from original dialogue and effects tracks.
I have the R2 version and the "stereo" re-mix doesn't sound very impressive to me.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well you've probably managed to get a duff mono copy. I watched my region 2 stereo copy recently and when the Martian war machines start blasting everything in their path the sound is everywhere, good bass and good stereo for such an old film, and until it eventually gets a remastering I'm more than happy with this copy.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Are you sure this wasn't a Perspecta track originally? Paramount did a lot of those before going over to true stereo, and the year would be about right for Perspecta.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
No, Paramount didn't start releasing tracks with Perspecta encoding until WHITE CHRISTMAS came out in October, 1954. WOTW was released in August, 1953 and would have been heard with the stereo audio on a 3-track 35mm full coat magnetic film which was interlocked with the picture.

There were many stereo releases that year in that format, and most are now gone. The first release in Perspecta optical was MGM's BETRAYED, in September, 1954.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
This thread pops up about once a month. Paramount did indeed restore a beautiful stereo mix for the laserdisc from the multitrack orignal stems...and the fidlity of the PCM on the LD is wonderful.
Turns out it was mere oversight and ignorance on the part of the DVD authoring team as to why this glorious 2.0 soundtrack was not included on the DVD.
I keep hoping for a special edition that includes the stereo, but I doubt that 2.0 DD at 192 kbps will sound as good as the 16/44.1 LPCM on my laser ;)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The War of the Worlds LD was NOT done from multitrack stems but from a composte optical track at Chace Productions. Whiule many films were released in interlock stereo in 1953, several advertised as stereo were not at all but would have a few effects bounced around the theater. the music tracks for war of the Worlds at Paramount is dead mono.

Several other films advertised as stereo were not complete stereo but had only one or two reels in stereo.

the early prints of All the Brothers Were Valiant(mgm) had ony reels one and the final two reels in stereo.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

are you sure? I remember reading from several sources when the LD was released how they had discovered the original stems and were able to produce a "true" stereo mix for the LD (ala Meet me in St Louis etc.). Indeed, many of the effects sound very discrete...not the typical "chase" processed sound.

GregK

Screenwriter
I think Joe is correct. I believe what Paramount had to work with was a surviving music/effects track and a dialog track. These elements would be needed if a new foreign language version were ever produced. Having these elements allowed Chace to use their various tricks of the trade.. and when conditions allowed, to even get a little aggressive in their stereo panning. But the music, while sounding "wide", does not sound (at least to my ears) like a true two or three track stereo score.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
...and, incidentally, it's HENDRIX - not "Hendrik"
Just joking... as Jimi is my favorite all time artist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks