What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Wanted Christmas Movies on DVD (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
It's about the time when the studios start announcing their fall releases, many of them Christmas movies. What Christmas movies would you like to see released or re-released on DVD this year? Here are my picks:

- A Christmas Carol 1938, WB (Both original B&W and colourized versions please!)
- Christmas in Connecticut 1945, WB (Both original B&W and colourized versions please!)
- Re-release of Scrooge / A Christmas Carol 1951 - This could use a complete restoration, and more bonus features!

Andy

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I'd like an anamorphic Home Alone special edition.:b

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'd like some of the classic Hanna-Barbera animated holiday TV specials to be released...

"A Flintstone Christmas" (1977)

"Casper's First Christmas" (1979)

"Yogi's First Christmas" (1980)

"The Jetsons Christmas Carol" (1985)

"A Flintstone Family Christmas" (1993)

"A Flintstones' Christmas Carol" (1994)

ETC...

I'm surprised these haven't made it to DVD yet when they're consistently broadcast each year around the holidays, they define the cheesy annual holiday t.v. specials for me. These would sell really well if packaged as barebone single-disc double features - low retail cost, and kid/family marketable as well. It would appeal to all demographics especially if sold during the Christmas season.

I really hope we finally see some on store shelves this year...

(PS - I know this is O.T. in this forum but it fits in context and theme of the topic.)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Warner owns the '38 Christmas Carol and Christmas in Connecticut, so don't count on the colorized versions.

Colorization is dead, dead, dead, unless it's Legend Films we're talking about.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'd love to see a nice restored version of "A Christmas Carol" from 1951. As I've said previously, I feel this is the definitive version of the story, and it's the only version I insist on watching.

I'd also love to see anamorphic releases of "Home Alone 1, 2 & 3". Although part 3 isn't what I'd call a Christmas movie, I'd still like it. In all honesty, "Lost In New York" is my all-time favorite of the bunch.

"All I Want For Christmas" is another title I'd love to own. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I heard that it was finally coming out on DVD this year, so it's definitely a must buy.

Next on my list would be "The Kid Who Loved Christmas", which was a 1988 made-for-tv film produced by Eddie Murphy starring Della Reese, Sammy Davis Jr., Vanessa Williams, and Gregory Hines. I own this on video and make a note to watch it every year. A great movie that would be a most welcome addition to my DVD library.

Then we have some of the old specials I grew up with. As Marco stated above, I'd love to see all the great Hanna Barbera holiday cartoons make their way to DVD, ESPECIALLY "A Flintstone Christmas". I remember this special from WAY back, and it always brings back a flood of childhood memories.

I could go on and on, especially since I'm a big kid at Christmas and watching holiday movies are a big part of the tradition for me. I know there's some good ones coming out this year including "Trapped In Paradise" (which by the way was filmed in Elora, Ontario......10 minute drive from where I am), as well as "Bad Santa" which I've never seen, but heard a lot of good things about. Slowly but surely, I'm starting to discard the VHS copies of these movies with DVD.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I'd like to see "The Night They Saved Christmas" with Jaclyn Smith and Art Carney released to dvd.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
That is my number one most wanted Christmas release. In fact, I bought a sealed VHS copy recently to transfer to DVDR someday... We watched this movie constantly when I was a kid. I loved it and would buy it on release day. Shoot, I would also buy copies to give to my mother, brother and sister too!! Bring it on...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Really? COOL! I loved Kevin Neilens performance as the dumb guy trying to date the mother of the two kids. Oh, and Phil Collins as the police officer :D

I've been looking for this title for a long time. :emoji_thumbsup:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'd also like to see a properly-restored DVD edition of SCROOGE (1951), as well as these 3 lesser-known Christmas flicks:

REMEMBER THE NIGHT (1940 Paramount, scripted by Preston Sturges) Universal

A HOLIDAY AFFAIR (1949 RKO, starring Robert Mitchum & Janet Leigh) Warner

THE CHEATERS (1945 Republic) Republic/Artisan/Lion's Gate

--also, if whoever owns the animated B.C. (y'know, Johhny Hart's caveman comic strip) Thanksgiving and Christmas specials (originally aired in the mid-1970s) would pair them on a R1 DVD release, that would be swell. As far as I know, they haven't been shown in years, and I recall them being quite funny (with Bob & Ray providing some of the voices).

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I didn't even think about "Muppet Family Christmas". That's definitely high on my priority list if they were to ever release it uncut. I almost purchased it one day last year at a nearby video store until I remember reading somewhere that it was edited beyond belief. I used to have the old VHS which was taped from television back in the 80s, but I would love to see them do right by this one.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It's not a movie, but I just LOVE the episode of the Simpsons in which Bart is caught shoplifting.

I thought it would appear in the Christmas-themed Simpsons DVD release, but was disappointed to learn otherwise.

It's a seventh-season episode, so I guess it's just a matter of time before it's released on DVD.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Lots of colorized Three Stooges shorts coming from Columbia Tri-Star this fall....and not just the 4 public domain ones Legend Films is also putting out.

I'd like to see the 1938 CHRISTMAS CAROL (B/W is OK with me). It's not the best version but it should be out there.

Ben_D

Agent
Here's a second to the 1940 "Remember the Night," now #1 on my Christmas Wish List. The better-remembered Barbara Stanwyck Christmas film may be "Christmas in Connecticut," but I'll take "Night" over ten "Connecticuts" any day.

Hal D

Grip
I'd like to see "The Gathering" with Ed Asner. This to me is one of the best Christmas films ever made.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
For me the 1938 B&W version is the definitive version of the story, and it's the only version I insist on watching. :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks