What's new

Want to build mean sub (1 Viewer)

Chris:-/OV

Stunt Coordinator
I want to build a big sub for movies that will play 30Hz and below but i don't know squat about building subs but i am smart so if someone can give me a link or give me some info on how to build up the sub from scratch. Also, what is a sonosub, tempest, timult and all these names that come up and what are the purposes for these different subs?

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Also,

What's your budget? Definitely makes a difference.

How big is your listening area?

Any expectations of the sub keeping up while listening to movies at or near Reference Level?

JKS

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I built a pretty nice sub using an Adire Audio Tumult. It's pretty mean too. I came home from work one day and my ht mains had hopped up on top of my AV cabinet with my center channel. They were all cowering behind a picture of my 7 yr. old (he's a second degree orange belt and refuses to take crap from the sub). They were all suspiciously turned towards the corner where my sub sits. I suspect that it had intimidated them throughout the day.:)

Sorry for the above, I was just having a little fun. Compared to what you would buy in a store, an Adire Audio Shiva in any of the recommended alignments would be mean. Meaner still would be a Tempest in any of the recommended ported alignments. Meanest of all would be an Adire Audio Tumult. Building a Tumult is for the experienced with strong backs and heavy wallets. A Tumult requires primo powerful amplification. A Shiva or Tempest will rock your world with a Parts Express 300-794 plate amp.

Since you want a mean sub, I will assume you want a ported sub. This is the way to go for efficient extension. Any of the above will work ported. The Tumult will use a smaller box with passive radiators. Appropriate passive radiators for a Tumult are available from Styke Audio. These will cost you mucho schmundo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks