What's new

wall sconces (1 Viewer)

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process of adding things to my HT and I wanna add 2 wall sconces to left wall of my theater. At the moment it is just a blank wall but i am gonna add 2 movie posters with 2 wall sconces. Where is a good place to buy them and the cheapest? I am on a budget so i don't wanna spend alot of money say bout 15-20 a peice? is that possible? I checked home depot and theres were all ugly. I have some lighting stores that are local so i could check there.

Jamie

MikeWh

Second Unit
Jamie-- Did you see the Home Depot sconces that were white or off-white... I think made out of plaster??? I thought they were OK looking.... and especially for the price. The GREAT thing is that they are paintable, so you can really make them look custom.

In my experience, "lighting store" = over-priced. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I hunted all over for sconces, too, and those lighting stores were EXPENSIVE.

The only other place that I found cheap sconces was at IKEA. They had a couple of nice ones and some REALLY UGLY ones.... Their current catalog doesn't show the ones I liked. Maybe they are available in the store.
http://www.ikea-usa.com/catalog_onli...al_catalog.asp

FWIW, I decided to make my own, using parts from a clearance lamp ($5) at Home Depot and some MDF. You can see a 4-1/2 foot tall one that I built for my stairsway by clicking on my www link.

Pam W

Stunt Coordinator
Jamie,

I second MikeWh on the Home Depot thing. We have 8 paintable sconces for our HT and paid around $13 each for them.

Pam

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see any paintable sconces in the homedepot site or in the store but if i could find those for 13 dollars i would buy them lol.

Jamie

bryan:b

Auditioning
I got some great scones from Home Depot. $10CDN for the glass scone and $20CDN for the light fixture. You can see a pic of them on my theater pics. My Theater

The glass part comes in 4 or 5 different colors, blue, white, yellow...(i dont remember the other colors). The base/wallmount come in bronze and silver.

JoshuaR

Agent
I just got my sconces from HomeCenter.com - they have a great deal on shipping if you order over a certain amount, plus they get cheaper if you order more of one kind. I ordered four of one and got both discounts, and recieved my merchandise within a week. I highly reccomend them!

Pam W

Stunt Coordinator
Hampton Bay 477-102. I can't get the online picture from Home Depot to come up. Seems they are now $23.80 - I got mine on closeout last year, but they still make them!

:D :D :D I got a deal:D :D :D

Pam

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
The ones they sell at lowes seem pretty nice. They are cheap and paintable so thats a plus. Its an easy job to install because I take electrical in high school :) I might just have to take a ride to lowes this weekend. I tend to like this style a little more. Its the same price just seems a little bit nicer.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...0-81378-501820

Jamie

MikeWh

Second Unit
Jamie-- YES. That's the one I was talking about. I like the style better than the Lowe's link I posted. Somehow I missed that one in my search on the Lowe's page, but it's the same one in my previous link from the purnews.org site.

Jeffrey_B

Agent
For the paintable sconces (Lowes), do you need to use special, heat-resistant paint? Can halogen bulbs be used in place of standard (incandescent) bulbs? JEFF

TonyGricar

Agent
I put up 4 pair of sconces purchased from Ikea and they are fantastic. they are made of a translucent glass/ceramic-type material and are art deco in style. Ikea was a last ditch effort and we saved approx. $70 per light over the other possibility. I think we paid $12 or so per.

here's a link to a pic of the sconces in my almost finished room (the audio surround board will be candy red lacquer). these were originally to show another user how the paint color turned out, but there's a good shot of the sconces on pic 2:
http://www.digitalniche.com/ht/ht.htm

tony

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
those lowes ones look decent.
ive wanted to put some thing like this up for a long time.
do these need to be installed behind the wall, wiring that is.
i dont know anyting about electrical so do these things come with easy instructions for install?

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Tony, installing a sconce is one of the easier electrical projects, but I would not say that they come with easy instructions. The instructions generally start with the assumption that the electrical box (behind the wall) is already in place and wired.

I would not recommend that you tackle it yourself unless you have an electrician first put in the electical boxes, switch, etc. (Or, first spend a lot of time learning about things like current, hot wires, proper grounding, romex, code requirements, etc, etc.) - Personally, I enjoy doing minor electrical projects, but I try to keep my limitations (i.e. lack of training and experience) in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks