Wall mounting rear speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jo_M, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I have JBL S-38's as my rear R/L speakers. I'd like to mount them on the wall so they are above the listener. They're heavy speakers so I need a pretty hefty mount. The only ones I've seen that may fit the bill are the B-Tech BT77.

Has anyone ever used these and can you give your experience with these or any others?

2. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

I have actually been looking at these too for my Mini Monitors. I haven't been able to find any comments on them yet though. I was going to post a question on these too.

3. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I have talked to a number of people about the b-tech 77's and they all said they were great.

I have used Omnimount 75stmp-ifk and I think they would also work with the jbl s38's.

4. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I'll check out the omnimount as well. How hard is it to fish wires through the walls?

5. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Depends on whether or not you can get at the top of the wall from the attic and whether or not there is insulation in the wall. Another option is to run the wire under the carpet and come up the wall. That's a little trickier but can be done.

6. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Our basement is unfinished so I think I can drill through the floor inside the walls and run it that way but I've never done anything like that before so I'm not sure how to do it.

7. Tommy Levario

Keep in mind that the B-Tech BT77 wall mounts can only tilt 10 degrees. Depending how high you go with the rear speakers, the angle may not be enough to direct the sound to the listening area.

8. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

For my Polks, I use the BT-7 mounts (which is the baby brother of the 77). I've been very pleased with the quality and aesthetics of this mount, as well as the difference it made in my soundstage. I think you'll be pretty happy with the BT-77 mounts.

9. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Jeremy, does the BT-7 allow for non-parallel sides? I thought about using the BT-3 (front/rear clamps) but my grill goes top to bottom on my surrounds and I prefer to keep the grills on.
    My surrounds only weigh 10-12 lbs each, but have a wedge shape.. sorta hard to see in the pic. Also, one of the surrounds will be much closer to the listening position than the other.. so I'll need to angle it down quite a bit, I'd think.
    [​IMG]

10. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

No... the BT-7's have to have parallel sides. Not sure how you'd manage a wedge-shaped speaker.