What's new
World Wide Stereo

Wall mount advice for a newb??? (1 Viewer)

seedybrick

Agent
Real Name
ken
I know we're supposed to read as much as we can and peep tutorials and all but this one seems kinda subjective and i'm just not sure wtf i'm doing.

just got a 46" sony xbr4.....no idea what the VESA pattern even is??!?

anyhoo....i guess i'm going with monoprice unless i'm told otherwise
not really sure what all the differences are though...i just need one that is vertically tilting

edit: can't post links due to noobness

ugh...do i want a 3900, 2852, 4115, 3004, 4173, 4174????
seems maybe the 4174 would be best as it's described as PREMIUM???

also....anyone have anything to say about the sanus vmpl3 or peerless st670??

sorry yall i'm sure you get these stupid questions all the time but for whatever reason it's hard to find solid specific advice on this stuff and i surely don't want anything to happen to my new baby

thanks much really!
Ken

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Pick a mount that will hold your TV up. All you have to do is pick one that holds the weight of the TV and tilt the way you want. You don't need the premium mounts unless you want to spend extra money. I'm sure Monoprice has a support line. Call them and ask. I've only had one issue with a Monoprice piece of equipment and it took a single e-mail to get a replacement. The easiest exchange I have ever done.

-Robert

Brent_S

Second Unit
The VESA pattern should be in your owner's manual.

If you don't want articulating (telescopes away from wall to allow left/right adjustment), there's really not much to think about beyond fitting the VESA brackets and holding the weight up. Biggest concern is making sure you can hit at least two studs at your intended mounting location. Some wall plates are sized to just barely cover 16" centers while others will hit 24" centers if you happen to need them.

-Brent

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Alternatively, toggle-bolts are your friend. (Actually, I kinda like the quick "togglers". They actually work!)

As for the VESA mount, it depends on the screen size. Below about 20" diagonal, the "100mm VESA" mount means that there is a flat "panel" on the back of the display that has four threaded screw holes in a square pattern, 100mm / ~4" on a side. I can't remember the size of the larger one, but it's still fundamentally the same idea: a "landing zone" in at least four points on the same "plane" with the threaded inserts for bolting your display to the mount. (Maybe 6 or 8; I really can't remember.)

Mounting displays isn't that hard; the biggest trick is actually making it level. Be very careful on that; over time, I think you might be able to see and be annoyed by even about a 1° off-pitch. Because of that, at work, we often get mounts that have a +/- 5° "roll" range.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks