What's new

Video Splitter / Spkr Mount / PC to Receiver (1 Viewer)

Bill Basher

Auditioning
Hello all, first timer here and big newb! Sorry cant post links until I have 15 posts :frowning: I'm finishing my basement and putting a poor man's HT in. I'm running cable (coax, speaker, data, voice, elec.) thru the stud walls now, running them back to a central distribution point (which will be enclosed with drywall & access door) www basherdesigns com/ht/distro-panel.jpg

1. I need advice on a Video splitter and I'm not sure if I will need any kind of amplification on the runs. Heres a diagram of how I need to split the DirecTv signal. www basherdesigns com/ht/dtv-splitr.jpg

2. WAF is not allowing me to purchase new speakers at this time so I have to mount what I have, front and rear speakers look like this. www basherdesigns com/ht/sur-speaker.jpg Cheesy but do the job. Anyone know of a mount that will work with this speaker or ideas on mounting them.

3. LAST question. Whats the best way to connect your computer soundcard audio output to your receiver? The run is about 40', can you get RCA cable that long with out losing quality. I could go from 1/4" jack to RCAs, but I'm not sure if thats the way to do it.

Thanks you very much for helping the poor man out too, we appreciate it! :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Your links aren’t working, Bill (yes, I added the period after www).

I assume you’re talking about sending MP3s to the receiver; signal loss is a non-issue with your dealing with compressed audio to begin with. In any event, I’ve sent regular audio signals longer distances than that wit no problems Any good, high-quality, well-shielded cable will do the job.. Coaxial RG-6, for instance. The cheapest route will be something you can terminate yourself rather than something pre-made with RCAs on both ends – either soldering your own RCAs or using the coaxial and convert the F connectors to RCA with adapters.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Forgot to mention, once I tried to run a line from my computer to my system, and I got hum from a ground loop. It may have because of a cheapie sound card, or the notoriously poor power supplies computers have (by audio equipment standards at least) or because the two systems were on opposite phases at the electrical panel.

So that could be a potential problem you may have to deal with.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
You didn't add the period before the "com" in his link.

I have an MSI motherboard with toslink, I have a 30 foot optical cable running from my comp to my system, and everything works fine. I'd prefer coax because the cable cost me a fortune to have made, but whatever. Try to do it digital, but if you have to, use RCA's instead of the minis.

I use cable amps from radio shack at every split I have, kills the ghosts, and keeps everything smooth. For the minimal cost, its worth it to be better safe than sorry.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Basher

Auditioning
Paul,
How do you connect coax to your soundcard and stereo?

Was at RadioShack last night, some dude was saying you could just run speaker wire and soder it to a 1/8" jack on each end, does this sound right?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bill,

Paul’s computer has a digital coaxial output. With a digital send, a ground loop should not be an issue.

The Radio Shack guy is out to lunch. The soundcard output is a line level signal and should only be sent via shielded cable(s) – just alike all the other interconnects in your home theater system.

Besides, what he’s describing would only carry a single channel signal. That’s all you can send down a single speaker wire. And that’s assuming that you can even find speaker cable skinny enough to use with a 1/8” mini plug.

Paul noted using RCAs instead of 1/8 mini plugs. What you could do is use a couple of mini headphone extension cords to run from the computer to the home theater receiver. At the receiver plug an stereo 1/8”-to-RCA adapter into the cable, and run regular RCA cables from there to the receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Basher

Auditioning
I thought that was a bit nuts using speaker wire???

Anyways, I would need 40' of cable to go from my computer to my receiver, are you saying to use two mini headphone extension cables to get the 40' I need. These will be in the walls so if you have two, they better never come disconnected :)

Also, is RadioShack the place of choice for buying these misc. HT accessories. I thought they seemed a bit pricey but what do I know.

Thanks!

Oh did you see my pictures?

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
If you are serious about integrating your comp with your system, you really should think about a new sound card if you dont have coax or toslink out. They're not very expensive, and are well worth it.

Mini's are just not good enough if you want to listen to quality audio. Especially when the cords are split, doubled, then split again. It reeks of signal degredation.

I think radio shack is pretty good for odds and ends. You can have everything cheaper on eBay or online, but I like the convenience.

And Wayne's right, don't ask for advice from radio shack people!

Bill Basher

Auditioning
I'll be asking my questions here for sure for now on :) I need to look again at my SoundCard I have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1, here's the connectors:

On-Board Connectors
- Analog/Digital Out (Analog Center & Subwoofer/6-channel S-PDIF Output)
- Line In
- Microphone In
- Line Level Out (front) / Headphone Out
- Line Level Out (rear)
- MIDI / Joystick port
- Telephone Answering Device In
- MPC-3 Analog CD Audio In
- Digital CD Audio In

Do you have a link for the coax or toslink options for me to see, a picture speaks a million words to me :)

(come on 15th post so I can post links!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks