What's new

Walking Dead Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
With regards to the last scene and the hatchet. Is that really necessary? Since they're already infected with the virus now, would a non-lethal bite really do anything? Maybe I missed something last season that already addresses that. Thoughts?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jerry Almeida said:
With regards to the last scene and the hatchet. Is that really necessary? Since they're already infected with the virus now, would a non-lethal bite really do anything? Maybe I missed something last season that already addresses that. Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure that you're correct about the virus but I guess Rick is trying to fend off infection and death from the presumably bacteria-laden zombie bite.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
TravisR said:
I'm pretty sure that you're correct about the virus but I guess Rick is trying to fend off infection and death from the presumably bacteria-laden zombie bite.
Sooooo...hack it off with a dirty axe on a dirty prison floor? I still think the dormant zombie was a cheat...because they were making noise all over the place. And, I think this is a mistake too. With high concept genre shows/movies you need to be careful to FOLLOW THE RULES! This show has never been good at it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quentin said:
Sooooo...hack it off with a dirty axe on a dirty prison floor? I still think the dormant zombie was a cheat...because they were making noise all over the place. And, I think this is a mistake too. With high concept genre shows/movies you need to be careful to FOLLOW THE RULES! This show has never been good at it.
On Talking Dead, they said that Herschel carried the ax as part of a medical kit so it was sterile or more sterile than the zombie that bit him anyway. That being said, I agree that the dormant zombie was a cheat.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As Dennis Castro pointed, out the dormant zombie was consistent with how the zombies have been portrayed since the pilot; if they've become inactive, it takes them a little while to "waken up". If there's no food source nearby, the fall into a shadow mimicking some of the routine of the person they were before they turned.
Medically speaking, though, the bite thing makes no sense. Presumably there are two infections, a benign infection that was airborne which doesn't kill you but does turn you into a zombie once you die, and a second infection that gives you a fatal fever that turns you in a matter of hours, presumably that one would be transmitted by body fluids, but half the time they're knee-deep in zombie body fluids and don't catch whatever in the bite kills you. Why is the bite special? Because that's how it's long been in zombie lore, and the show's obeying conventions.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/324448/walking-dead-season-3#post_3991041
As Dennis Castro pointed, out the dormant zombie was consistent with how the zombies have been portrayed since the pilot; if they've become inactive, it takes them a little while to "waken up". If there's no food source nearby, the fall into a shadow mimicking some of the routine of the person they were before they turned.
Medically speaking, though, the bite thing makes no sense. Presumably there are two infections, a benign infection that was airborne which doesn't kill you but does turn you into a zombie once you die, and a second infection that gives you a fatal fever that turns you in a matter of hours, presumably that one would be transmitted by body fluids, but half the time they're knee-deep in zombie body fluids and don't catch whatever in the bite kills you. Why is the bite special? Because that's how it's long been in zombie lore, and the show's obeying conventions.

And on top of that the Zombie juice from the bite would have traveled through the bloodstream throughout the entire body within milliseconds so I think Rick was a bit hasty in his decision to cut off the leg. He should have at least thought it through a bit longer.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The walker that got Herschel wasn't a cheat. It was deaf in life so it wasn't roused until he brushed against it. ;)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Based on the info the show has given us, now we know that it's not the zombie bite that causes zombification. The infectious agent that causes it is probably airborne. Everyone has it, but it doesn't do anything until death when it causes reamimation.
The Zombie bite causes a lethal infection. Death from the infection (or a heart attack, knife wound, or anything) leads to zombies. So the idea is that if you can stop someone from developing that lethal infection from a zombie bite they'd be good. Minus the amputated limb, of course.
Sooooo...hack it off with a dirty axe on a dirty prison floor?
I believe that was a clean hatchet carried in Hershel's medical bag for just such an occasion.
I still think the dormant zombie was a cheat...
I still say we've seen similar things before. Remember the soldier zombie in the tank Rick climbed into in Atlanta? It didn't attack him as soon as he got inside. We all thought it was just a dead guy for a little bit.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another solid episode, showcasing the professional zombie exterminators and the amateurs. It did a nice job of showcasing the line Rick walks; he saw a threat, so he dealt with it. But the people who weren't apparent threats were allowed to keep to the terms of their agreement.
I wonder who that was in the woods watching Carol's little zombie c-section?

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I think the virus lays dormant in your system while alive and doesn't activate until you die. So when you are bitten, your body receives a large dose of the activated virus. This speeds up death and zombification.
Another stellar episode. Rick is one bad dude.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Great episode! Rick did what he had to. The dude showed his intent, and the group would definitely be in danger if he was left alive. No choice there.
Carl going off on his own and clearing the infirmary to get the medical supplies was pretty damn great, even though he just tells us about it. Dangerous, but he's definitely not helpless anymore.
I'm glad Hershel pulled through. The scene with Maggie telling him it was ok to let go was heart wrenching.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Mouth-to-mouth in this world.
Not a great idea.
So glad to see Eric Balthree (not quite Balfour) take a machete to the brain without Rick stewing on it for half a season. Warranted an instant replay.
Last season, they definitely would've locked 'em up and had heated debates for two episodes before deciding, and for two episodes after, followed by Hershel wandering off, being distracted by a dead cow and dying in shame to a ninja-zombie.
Props to them though for turning Rick into an interesting character. His halfhearted "compliment" to Lori was a terrific way of saying in a few words (and a non-look) what sometimes requires an entire scene to express. Lincoln plays his grimly-determined scenes so much better than anything else.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My guess is the person watching Carol is one of the spared cons. Maybe the nice druggie is really a rapist?
Pretty poor, AMC. A quiet, heartfelt moment of Maggie saying goodbye to her dad, followed immediately with Chris Hardwicke screaming, "EWWWW, HOW GROSS WAS HERSCHEL'S SEVERED LIMB?!?"
The con leader looks more like the Governor than the Governor.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Evidently, John Hawkes was the first actor offered the role of The Governor, but he turned it down. He could've easily brought his Sol Star/Winter's Bone-look to the part. Still, David Morrissey is absolutely nothing to sneeze at, either, in the acting-department.
I think I felt more saddened by Big Tiny's death than any other cast member so far. Between his "Aw man, my moms" delivery and the BRUTAL fucking way he was killed, I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy, especially when he was all going, "I can still fight!"
Really, I dug how quickly things escalated, when you consider Rick went from telling him, "There's nothing we can do, I'm sorry," to locking one of the prisoners outside to die (which I think is a fake-out. They made a point to have this prisoner ask how they got in, and they showed us Carol leaving that hole in the gate open. My money's on him slipping away and coming back) to almost killing the last two who CLEARLY had nothing to do with Asshole Jesus.
Damn, good stuff. More of that, please.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It sounded like he was eaten, but he may be the one who tips off the Gov.
The Gov will probably be well acted, but I just wish he had long greasy hair and an eyepatch.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
The Gov will probably be well acted, but I just wish he had long greasy hair and an eyepatch.
There's a pretty solid interview with David Morrissey in the London Telegraph, where he says, “In the comic books, when you meet The Governor, he is this bad-ass. But in the TV series, we meet him much earlier in his genesis.” So...
...there are two theories out there. The first is that Morrissey is playing Philip Blake, the original Governor, and his brother (who looks like the comics character) is a separate character who eventually assume the title. The second is that he is the Governor, but it's the events of this season that will turn him into the character seen in the comics.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Pretty poor, AMC. A quiet, heartfelt moment of Maggie saying goodbye to her dad, followed immediately with Chris Hardwicke screaming, "EWWWW, HOW GROSS WAS HERSCHEL'S SEVERED LIMB?!?"
Yeah, I thought that was in pretty poor taste. Then again, the whole "Talking Dead" after show has always been generally annoying.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Really, I dug how quickly things escalated, when you consider Rick went from telling him, "There's nothing we can do, I'm sorry," to locking one of the prisoners outside to die (which I think is a fake-out. They made a point to have this prisoner ask how they got in, and they showed us Carol leaving that hole in the gate open. My money's on him slipping away and coming back) to almost killing the last two who CLEARLY had nothing to do with Asshole Jesus.
Damn, good stuff. More of that, please.
I thought locking that one kid out in the yard was pretty ruthless and I wouldn't blame the guy for being kinda pissed about that. Granted, Rick doesn't know anything about the convicts but the worst thing that guy did was run away from Rick after seeing him smash a dude in the head with a machete.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Can T-Dawg get through an episode without burning a body or talking about burning bodies or moving bodies?
I guess the only real question I have at the moment is, why is Lori on Rick's s-list? He forgave her for Shane. Is it because he blames her somehow for Shane's death, or something?
I assume Rick finally had enough of her crap when she got all "Don't touch me!" after he knifed Shane in the soul last season. He's been Ragin' Rick ever since his little, "There's the door!" speech, and she's continuing to get the brunt of it.
Sean Bryan said:
I'm glad Hershel pulled through. The scene with Maggie telling him it was ok to let go was heart wrenching.
Same here. Glad he made it -- after all, he has the "unlimited ammo" code! (He also looks a bit like Santa, now. Who else is going to help bring Christmas cheer to the survivors?)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Lori gave Rick another version of the Shane speech from the Farm in Sunday's episode where she basically rubber stamped his actions for the good of the group. I don't think it is a stretch for Rick to be reminded of the Shane speech and consequently be a little bristly with Lori. He might be asking himself if she is going to pull the same stunt at the Prison - encourage him and then lash out at him when he acts upon that encouragement.
Liked the new episode a lot. Rick's actions with Tomas were pretty much on the money. Don't throw a Walker at someone and then expect them to forgive and forget. :) On the other hand, just leaving the other guy at the mercy of the Walkers by locking the door on him just seemed cruel. Interesting close up of Andrew Lincoln following that moment. I'm pretty sure that this guy was toast based on the sounds coming from the courtyard.
Carl is starting to turn into a little bad-ass. Taking out two Walkers and coming back from the infirmary with supplies. :tu:
For those who didn't watch Talking Dead there was a scene from next week's episode and guess what...
Merle's back and this time it isn't a fever dream.
- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks