What's new

Wal-Mart Selling 1.1 Profile Blu Ray Player for $298.00 (2 Viewers)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Magnavox NB500MG9 Blu-ray Player

These are OEM'd by Chinese manufacturer Funai. I picked one up today. Haven't connected it yet because I'm still waiting for my new Onkyo SR805 to arrive, but the specs look promising. I'm hoping this player will get me through the next couple of years or until more diverse Blu Ray products begin appearing on the market.

John

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
AVS forum seems fairly inpressed with it including the build quality.

It's been reported that the pickup is a Panasonic and the loader is a Sony.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

David. You are the man!!! I'll be boxing mine up and returning it tomorrow unless they'll grandfather me in.

John

Timothy J Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
TimothyJackson Wolfe
Does this Bluray player have 7.1 Surround Sound capabilities or is it just 5.1?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Via HDMI, it should have no problem with properly encoded media, but if you're talking analog pre-outs, it has none.

John

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I like Funai made players really well, but I would sure pay an extra $100 at Wal-Mart, get the $100 gift card and a PS3 if the PS3 design works well in your system. I just don't think this player is worth only $100 less than the PS3 comparatively when you consider all the PS3 does.

Chris

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Chris;

That's a good point. I returned my Magnavox [Funai] player today and may consider replacing it with the PS3, even though I really don't get into gaming. The only concern I have is the wired remote. I need something that my Pronto Pro can control. I've heard that there are available options for the PS3, but haven't realy researched it yet. Now I have a reason to get on the ball.

John

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

As mentioned by the previous poster, the Nyko Blue-wave remote is one solution. I use it and it makes programming a universal remote control easy enough.

Chris

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks David and Chris. I'll look into it. I see Amazon has this item for as low as $10.00!

John

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
So it's 55 bucks plus shipping extra just to be able to turn it off and on with a universal remote?

Something to think about when figuring the overall cost of it and what you want it to do.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
RE: the remote thing for PS3, I ended up picking up the PS3 bluetooth remote on Amazon's gold box deal the other day (for ~$15) instead of trying one of the IR solutions (for now). I plan to rearrange my HT a good bit over the next few weeks and probably won't have IR access to the gear anymore (plus my universal remote seems to be fried), so not much point in forcing the IR issue for my situation at this point.

For those still wanting IR, is the power on/off really that necessary? I guess it depends a lot on how you use your PS3. If you're just using it mainly for BD/DVD playback, then wouldn't you normally need to get up and swap discs or similar anyway? But if you plan to use its other media hub features (w/out swapping physical media), then I guess remote power on/off becomes more useful...

_Man_

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I usually remove the disc when done so I have to go to the player anyway and I just it turn it off after removing the disc. Even if I don't remove the disc, it isn't very hard to turn it off without using the remote control, so it certainly isn't a big deal to me.

Chris

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
When I'm paying for a good universal, a Harmony 880, so there is a one button all on or off, it is a big deal for me. Especially when I need to keep things as simple as possible for certain parties in my household.

I'm done watching the movie, I hit one button and it turns off the player and turns on something else.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I was in my local Wal-Mart today. If they are going to do this, they sure are keeping it quiet. The employees I asked in the electronics dept didn't know anything about it, nor did I see any mention of it on Wal Mart's web site. What I did see in the store was a flyer advertising the $100.00 gift card with the purchase of a PS 3 only, no other Blu Ray players were listed. According to this flyer, the deal ends tomorow, June 7th. Anyone have any different information from Wal-Mart?

John

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... The article does mention "next week" at the very beginning, so maybe it's not actually supposed to be well known and "happening" until next week (though it's coming up fast).

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Thanks David. This puts my mind at ease. I visited another Wal-Mart today and was told that the Magnavox player and a Sony model [the 300 I believe] are the only eligible players. The Playstation deal ends today. They also said the units had to be ordered through Wal-Mart.com and the gift card would be redeemable only for online merchandise.

Since that's clearly not what the article you referenced says, I am assuming Wal-Mart wants to keep this quiet since quantities are limited. I'll be first in line tomorrow morning, God willing. This is just one of many reasons I love this forum.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks