What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Wait, or make your own DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've been faithfully PVRing NIGHT GALLERY every morning off of Encore Mystery, but I haven't burned any discs yet... I'll wait to see how the official season 1 DVDs look (via Netflix). If Universal screws 'em up (which is certainly possible)... well, I'll just make my own. The prints being shown on Encore Mystery look amazing, are commercial free, and appear to be the original, unaltered versions (not the horrendous original syndication package).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've been faithfully PVRing NIGHT GALLERY every morning off of Encore Mystery, but I haven't burned any discs yet... I'll wait to see how the official season 1 DVDs look (via Netflix). If Universal screws 'em up (which is certainly possible)... well, I'll just make my own. The prints being shown on Encore Mystery look amazing, are commercial free, and appear to be the original, unaltered versions (not the horrendous original syndication package).

Roger_R

Second Unit
I usually buy the shows on DVD because TV-recordings are mostly worse quality-wise. But with the introduction of HDTV, I'm not so sure. My recordings of Enterprise is in a higher resolution than DVDs, so why buy a product that will be in worse quality than the one you get for free through your dish (well, not really free..but you know what I mean)?
This is also true for CSI, which is one of the other few shows I follow. They also messed up the aspect ratio on the season 1 DVD set of that show.

Roger_R

Second Unit
I usually buy the shows on DVD because TV-recordings are mostly worse quality-wise. But with the introduction of HDTV, I'm not so sure. My recordings of Enterprise is in a higher resolution than DVDs, so why buy a product that will be in worse quality than the one you get for free through your dish (well, not really free..but you know what I mean)?
This is also true for CSI, which is one of the other few shows I follow. They also messed up the aspect ratio on the season 1 DVD set of that show.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i dont record anymore.
i buy them all now.
now that they are releaseing them on dvd.
the only thing is some are takeing to long on being released. look at the simpsons, at the pace there geting released its going to take forever to get them all.
if i live long enough that is...
there are a lot of shows like this that are takeing to long on being released. even if i dont have the money at the time at least they would be released and waiting for me to buy them. no waiting then, and i hate waiting.:wink:

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i dont record anymore.
i buy them all now.
now that they are releaseing them on dvd.
the only thing is some are takeing to long on being released. look at the simpsons, at the pace there geting released its going to take forever to get them all.
if i live long enough that is...
there are a lot of shows like this that are takeing to long on being released. even if i dont have the money at the time at least they would be released and waiting for me to buy them. no waiting then, and i hate waiting.:wink:

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
So far the only show I actually bothered to transfer to DVD-R (and it's hardly a lenghty series) is Police Squad! ... just some killer stuff .. the VHS source wasn't that great, but it's still nice to have on DVD. I even made some nice packaging out of the scans of the VHS boxes ... but I'd still buy the "official" discs the second they were released .. (I'm not holding my breath on that one ...)

Bryan

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
So far the only show I actually bothered to transfer to DVD-R (and it's hardly a lenghty series) is Police Squad! ... just some killer stuff .. the VHS source wasn't that great, but it's still nice to have on DVD. I even made some nice packaging out of the scans of the VHS boxes ... but I'd still buy the "official" discs the second they were released .. (I'm not holding my breath on that one ...)

Bryan

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
With the advent of HDTV and DVD Recording media, I'm hoping that TV STudios will now look into putting forth Season Sets for ALL shows and extras on all boxes, to make it worth purchasing the official releasees. If it's just the episodes, at an outrageous Star Trek like price, then most people will be content with their TV broadcasts...

Myself, I've got the entire 1987 TMNT Series transferd to DVD R on about 4 discs... mostly to preserve my memory of the episodes I have taped off the TV. Commercials and all. As soon as they get released on official DVD, I'll be throwing half those discs in the trash, and keeping the TV Taped eps for my archive and nostalgia value.

I've also been transferring Real Ghostbusters, EXtreme Ghostbusters, and Fraggle Rock to DVD. But I'm missig a butload of episodes for both releases, so as soon as season sets are announced, I'll be picking those up as well..

LizH

Second Unit

I dunno about ALL shows.

I mean, if only ten people watched a show while it was on air, what makes you think anyone's going to buy the DVD? (Cases in point: The WB's "Tarzan", "Black Sash", and "Young Americans".)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks