What's new

Wait, or make your own DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Ryan FB

Second Unit
I agree with a good bit of what's been said so far. Chances are if I like a show enough to put in the time, effort, and money of recording it myself, I like it enough to support any eventual proper DVD releases. For example, I've recorded all of Season 1 of Arrested Development to DVD-R, but I will definitely be purchasing the set rumored to come out later this year. I'm actually paying around $0.45/disc, so it's highly affordable (especially when compared to storing on hard drives) for me to record shows or rare things on TCM onto DVD. It also means I can watch material whenever I want while I wait for an official release. Then again most of the shows I've been recording have been very reasonably priced in my opinion (although there are shows on DVD that I want that I feel are priced too high, there's so many episodes in syndication that attempting to record them into seasons myself would be extremely difficult).

Ryan FB

Second Unit
I agree with a good bit of what's been said so far. Chances are if I like a show enough to put in the time, effort, and money of recording it myself, I like it enough to support any eventual proper DVD releases. For example, I've recorded all of Season 1 of Arrested Development to DVD-R, but I will definitely be purchasing the set rumored to come out later this year. I'm actually paying around $0.45/disc, so it's highly affordable (especially when compared to storing on hard drives) for me to record shows or rare things on TCM onto DVD. It also means I can watch material whenever I want while I wait for an official release. Then again most of the shows I've been recording have been very reasonably priced in my opinion (although there are shows on DVD that I want that I feel are priced too high, there's so many episodes in syndication that attempting to record them into seasons myself would be extremely difficult).

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I have one other 'complaint' from OTA shows. I have the pilot for 'Spin City', and it was shown on election night. Yes, the bottom half of the screen was the pits!

Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I have one other 'complaint' from OTA shows. I have the pilot for 'Spin City', and it was shown on election night. Yes, the bottom half of the screen was the pits!

Glenn

MattGentry

Second Unit
Going to have to agree here. If it's a show I like enough, I'll just buy the DVD of it.

The transfer quality, extras, packaging...all of it is a plus.

I mean, I plan on making sets of Arrested Development: Season One, Wonderfalls: Season One (sans four eps.), Batman Beyond: Season One, and Scrubs: Season One, but the second any of them are released commercially, I'm there.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Going to have to agree here. If it's a show I like enough, I'll just buy the DVD of it.

The transfer quality, extras, packaging...all of it is a plus.

I mean, I plan on making sets of Arrested Development: Season One, Wonderfalls: Season One (sans four eps.), Batman Beyond: Season One, and Scrubs: Season One, but the second any of them are released commercially, I'm there.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I feel like I wandered into the wrong room. You guys are talking about shows that are 5 minutes old while I'm dealing with shows that are 50 years old. We are speaking the same language but it sure doesn't sound the same.

Isn't Dawson's Creek finished? Then how could you possibly record it as it originally aired unless A) You did record it on tape when it aired or B) You've invented a time machine and you can go back in time to record the network airings (in which case get in touch with me as I can think of better uses for time travel). As for Batman, unless you have them all from 16mm prints, like I do :D , all you could hope to get are 22 minute cut versions.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I feel like I wandered into the wrong room. You guys are talking about shows that are 5 minutes old while I'm dealing with shows that are 50 years old. We are speaking the same language but it sure doesn't sound the same.

Isn't Dawson's Creek finished? Then how could you possibly record it as it originally aired unless A) You did record it on tape when it aired or B) You've invented a time machine and you can go back in time to record the network airings (in which case get in touch with me as I can think of better uses for time travel). As for Batman, unless you have them all from 16mm prints, like I do :D , all you could hope to get are 22 minute cut versions.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
OK, maybe I should have been more specific. I know they are not EXACTLY the same as they were when they originally aired (Dawson's Creek), but at least they would have the original music intact...and I would still have the officially released discs too. :)
And as far as Batman goes, I know all I can get would be the cut versions, however, given the fact that I am in my early 20's and have never seen the show any other way, I would like to record them, because I would rather have the 22 minute versions than nothing at all.... Of course I would rather have official releases from whomever (if WB/Fox would work out their issues), but until that happens, I will take what I can get. ;)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
OK, maybe I should have been more specific. I know they are not EXACTLY the same as they were when they originally aired (Dawson's Creek), but at least they would have the original music intact...and I would still have the officially released discs too. :)
And as far as Batman goes, I know all I can get would be the cut versions, however, given the fact that I am in my early 20's and have never seen the show any other way, I would like to record them, because I would rather have the 22 minute versions than nothing at all.... Of course I would rather have official releases from whomever (if WB/Fox would work out their issues), but until that happens, I will take what I can get. ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Those are included in my "shows that probably won't ever come to DVD". I'm still 6 episodes short of a complete set of East Side/West Side, the 1963-64 series starring George C. Scott that is unlikely ever to come to DVD. AFAIK, it hadn't aired for years until Trio started to showed as part of their "Brilliant But Cancelled" series. I'll put up with Trio's annoying red bug (even more noticeable on a B&W series), because that's probably the only way I'll ever get these shows.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Those are included in my "shows that probably won't ever come to DVD". I'm still 6 episodes short of a complete set of East Side/West Side, the 1963-64 series starring George C. Scott that is unlikely ever to come to DVD. AFAIK, it hadn't aired for years until Trio started to showed as part of their "Brilliant But Cancelled" series. I'll put up with Trio's annoying red bug (even more noticeable on a B&W series), because that's probably the only way I'll ever get these shows.

M.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Well, since I only started recording recently, I'm mostly limited to what I get via OTA or Satellite. There are a lot of older shows I'm interested in that don't stand much of a chance of getting properly released, but are also not being broadcast very much if at all. I do still grab a lot of stuff off TCM though it's more along the lines of neglected movies and random bits (such as a 1950's or so "backstage at MGM" piece I stumbled across).

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Well, since I only started recording recently, I'm mostly limited to what I get via OTA or Satellite. There are a lot of older shows I'm interested in that don't stand much of a chance of getting properly released, but are also not being broadcast very much if at all. I do still grab a lot of stuff off TCM though it's more along the lines of neglected movies and random bits (such as a 1950's or so "backstage at MGM" piece I stumbled across).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks