What's new

Vudu UHD 4K is now a thing... (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Question. I have a VUDU account set up already accessible thru my Sony Blu-ray player hooked to my 4K TV. Should I consider a Roku device instead? Or should I just hook the Sony up thru the 4K HDMI connection?

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Sam Posten said:
If they have a single key for both UHD and HD versions this is an epic win. If you have to pay an additional $20 to get a UHD version of the film when you already own it on HD this is an epic fail.
Also when I signed up they stated " You Will be future proofing your film collection" I have over 200 films on Vudu !

P

Patrick Donahue

Kyrsten Brad said:
Question. I have a VUDU account set up already accessible thru my Sony Blu-ray player hooked to my 4K TV. Should I consider a Roku device instead? Or should I just hook the Sony up thru the 4K HDMI connection?
The only way you will be able to take advantage of Vudu's 4K content is with the Roku 4, so I'd go with that...

P

Patrick Donahue

Ken Koc said:
Very few 4K available on ROKU. I can only find San Andreas.
On Roku, Vudu has 13 titles, with 10 more about to be added by Warner Bros. Then there 12 other channels including Netflix, Amazon, and M-Go which have 4k content as well...

P

Patrick Donahue

Anybody who Disc 2 Digital'ed any of the previously mentioned Blu's to UHD has had them pulled from their accounts, with Vudu citing a bug that allowed you to do that in the first place. Nice.

Ringneck12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
As of today, Vudu's UHD movie list is sad.
I have always evaluated the movie in question if there were purchase options for definition. Yes, it would be nice one day just to simply view everything at highest definition. But, in the mean time, it may be prudent to only worry about upgrading worthy titles. Ask yourself, "Will I ever watch this movie again?" Or "Do I really care if Vudu has the Hangover trilogy in UHD?" Why worry about your whole UV library now? Wait for Vudu to get some decent titles for d2d that are on your must have list.
We as consumers have a say in what Vudu can charge. $9.99 to rent a UHD movie is just a test. Just like the supermarket, Vudu wants you to get used to seeing $9.99. Then when they have a $7.99 sale you will think you got a deal. By purchasing you also agree to the price being charged. Vudu has invested quite a sum into this technology and they are wanting a return on the investment. How much is a UHD movie rental, purchase or upgrade worth?

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Sam Posten said:
Nope, whats in general to the Vudu lovers in this thread. Those for whom Vudu has eclipsed Uvvu itself.

What's all this^^^ about? Do you have a thing for people that prefer Vudu? Is loving itunes somehow better?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
What's all this^^^ about? Do you have a thing for people that prefer Vudu? Is loving itunes somehow better?

No, not specifically. There's plenty of support in this very thread tho with people pushing Vudu as the one true Ultraviolet option tho, and as I have noted time and time again that's just trading one walled garden for another and antithetical to the whole stinking point of UV. And this 4K move by Walmart was cited as a big example of them pushing the boundaries when in fact it's just another way to suck the blood of the enthusiast market for more cash for very little in return. I said myself that I'd have been impressed with that, and I'm SHOCKED that it has turned around into another bait and switch.

If this had happened to Apple customers instead of Walmart people would be screaming bloody murder right now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
No, not specifically. There's plenty of support in this very thread tho with people pushing Vudu as the one true Ultraviolet option tho, and as I have noted time and time again that's just trading one walled garden for another and antithetical to the whole stinking point of UV. And this 4K move by Walmart was cited as a big example of them pushing the boundaries when in fact it's just another way to suck the blood of the enthusiast market for more cash for very little in return. I said myself that I'd have been impressed with that, and I'm SHOCKED that it has turned around into another bait and switch.

If this had happened to Apple customers instead of Walmart people would be screaming bloody murder right now.
Listen, I'm not a fan of Walmart and I do have some concerns about VUDU's lack of support for DVD upgrade to BD on several movie titles, but I still find VUDU very useful despite their shortcomings there and what is currently happening with UHD/4K upgrades. As to this whole support thing regarding VUDU versus Apple, I think it's a non-value argument and does very little for me personally except make certain fans of either company feel good about their products.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Sam Posten said:

I'm not sure I see this as a bait and switch. Sounds like allowing D2D upgrades to UHD was a mistake and I'm betting those who tried that out will be reimbursed. How is it a knock on Vudu if they are not allowing UHD upgrades, at least not yet? It's not like everybody else is doing it already and Vudu is behind the curve somehow.

Vudu love? Not me, but they are the best provider that has joined UV, UV isn't suppose to =Vudu. Ultraviolet just records your purchases so you can play them anywhere.....(the part Apple doesn't like). Ultraviolet is open by design, If you run into a wall, they didn't build it. Ultraviolet is the best thing going for the consumer. The problem isn't UV, the problems is the walled gardens that want to keep people locked in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm an equal opportunity user of both, Vudu and Apple with three Roku units and three Apple TV devices in my home. I love them both and happy I have them in my three home theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks