What's new

VOOM Q's (1 Viewer)

Christien

Auditioning
I'm thinking of getting VOOM for my new HD set.

Two questions:

1) Are there any cost I'm missing? Right now it's no installation cost and then I just pay for service.

2) I live in my parents house and they have digital cable. Can I still get VOOM in the house?

Any other comments or experiences you have had with VOOM that you would like to add would be appreciated.

Thanks

C

RobMeyer

Auditioning
OK. This is my first post here.

I just got Voom installed today. So far I really dig it. There are no hidden fees. Since the installers will run new cable, you can use this in conjunction with your parent's dgital cable which may be something you will want to do since Voom lacks USA, Sci-Fi, HGTV and a few other common stations.

The stuff below is from the email Voom sent me prior to install. It should answer your questions about any additional fees the installer may charge:

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 1 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installation type purchased):

Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local-NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:

Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
Installations requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)

Any additional work you request or require will be determined by your technician and approved by you before the work begins. You will pay your technician directly for any additional services. This will be part of the confirmation call.

Hope that helps!
rob

Christien

Auditioning
Rob

That really helps. I appreciate it. So that means I will be able to gather up digital cable channels through the same receiver?

If that's what you're saying, that's superb. I realize it's not the norm, but cool nonetheless.

Now I just have to hope I can get a good line of sight on the house

Also, how did you setup your packages?

C

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I wouldn't mind doing this myself, except my mom has laid down some very strict rules: No drilling in holes or ceilings of any kind.

We have digital cable, bare bones, in the house currently.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
And if you live in FL BrandsMart USA has a deal going with VOOM that if you sign a 2 year contract to spend at least $60 a month on programming VOOM will send you a $500 check in 6 weeks or so after you purchase a HDTV from BrandsMart USA which means you can get the 26 inch Samsung HDTV for FREE ;)

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
What direction does the Voom dish need to point? I've been considering trying out their service but I do have alot of trees around the house. I used to subscribe to DirecTV and had no problems getting the signal from the southwest. (I live in PA)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Is there a way this install can be done without drilling into walls and ceilings?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
They have to install the satellite dish outside and get RG6 coax cables routed from the satellite dish to the receiver installed by your TV(s) - a cable for each receiver/TV is required and has to get into the house usually by them drilling a hole in the outside wall in the room containing the TV, you can't avoid that. For 2 tuner DVR receivers you need two separate RG6 coax cables from the dish to the receiver, thats two holes or one bigger hole.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
My room is on the second floor of the house. I have an attic door right in my closet. Hmmmm.... maybe they won't need to drill?...

;)

Christien

Auditioning
I'm on the second floor near the attic door, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Also, my dad told me that he already a satellite ready part of the roof. I never knew it was there. So apparently holes have already been drilled and no one ever knew. Don't know if that will quell your mom's worries. Mine's only concern was to make sure you couldn't see the dish from the street.

Also, I called VOOM about the trees. I have a huge oak right in the line of sight. They said they will test it before they do anything to see what the consistent quality will be. If it isn't there, they won't install it.

So far, I've spent about 20 minutes on the phone with VOOM getting information and I must say impressed with their customer service thus far.

Can anyone give me an idea of the packages they subscribe two apart from the two listed on their website?

C

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
i just ordered Voom today and I went with VaVaVoom. For 79 dollars a month for all channels it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. I also have a lot of trees around my place so I'm hoping that I can even get the service at all.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
Are their channels recorded in HD or upconverted?

I know they are using MPEG4 in order to get all the channels through, while utlizing a minimum of transponders so I am a little concerned about picture quality, any one have any info?

thanks!

JP

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
VOOM isn't mpeg4 yet.

From what I've read, their own exclusive channels are mostly true hi-def w/some upconverted material.

The other channels, like HBO-HD, DiscoveryHD, Showtime-HD, they simply pass thru whatever they get. What's true HD or upconverted depends on what these providers are sending out.

Christien

Auditioning
well, i ordered it last night, so we shall see.

I got the basic and addded HBO. I'm not home enough for the whole thing. It should be 54.80 but 9.50 for the box plus tax it was like $69. Scheduled install is the 18th, so I hope not major tree probs.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Is it true, though, that they seem to have the best angle on HD vs. anyone else right now?

I mean, for x amount of dollars I'll get the most HD with them?

They had a hell of a deal being advertised that I might have missed. Free install, free everything for the first room if you commit to at least a $40 some odd a month programming package. That's it. I was SO close to doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks