What's new

Volume To The Home Theatre While Watching T.v (1 Viewer)

craigmb

Auditioning
Real Name
craig branscum
Hi ,I Have a question..I've Figured How to use my surround sound system while watching T.v. I can Turn the volume down on the surround sound while watching a Dvd But i cannot turn down the surround sound While just watching my satelite T.v?Are they a way of doing it

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You have not provided enough information for us to provide an answer. What equipment are you using? How are things connected?

Depending on the answer you will be able to control the surround sound volume while watching satellite TV. I do it all of the time on my system.

-Robert

craigmb

Auditioning
Real Name
craig branscum
Ok My Home Theatre Is a Durabrand Model STS96

My T.v Is A RCA TruFlat.

and how i have things hooked up is...I have A/v Cables Coming from My Surround sound system box Yellow in the Video Out And The White and red Audio Out. The other end is going to the back of my T.v ...The yellow is in the video In And the red and yellow is plugged in the Output

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You don't mention how the DVD and satellite box are connected.

But right off the bat we can say that you would get better video and sound quality using the component/digital connections rather than the composite/stereo connections.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
So it sounds like you have a cheap "home theater in a box" system with built-in DVD player. If you'd like to hear satellite through it rather than the TV speakers, what you want to do is look at the DVD/receiver box for any audio *input* rather than *output*. Then connect the satellite receiver audio out to that input, and find some button on the surround sound controller to switch sources. Look in your manual.

craigmb

Auditioning
Real Name
craig branscum
Ok sorry...it is a cheap system ..

and i dont have the system and the satelite box hooked together...

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
After reading your posts, I don't have a clue. I'm not sure what problem you're describing and I still don't know how (or if) your equipment is connected.

You say you don't have your satellite receiver connected it at all, so what are you hearing from the surround system when you're watching TV? Whatever DVD is in the drive? Does the HTiB have a radio tuner buiilt into it? If that's the issue, you have a very simple solution - turn the HTiB off when you're watching TV.

If I've misunderstood, then you're going to have to describe the issue in some more detail. BTW, you mention having the audio outputs on the HTiB connected to the audio outputs on the TV. Unless this is a typo, this connection is doing nothing.

What satellite service are you getting? Do you have an HD receiver or standard def. What is the make and model of the receiver?

What is the model of the RCA TV?

(This information will let us see what connection options you have on all the devices and make the best recommendations re: connections.)

Regards,

Joe

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

That's your clue. I think your question (though your English is quite mangled), was how to use your surround sound with satellite. It should have been obvious to you, although it apparently wasn't, that in order to do this you have to hook the satellite box up to the system. Like I said in my previous post, you have to find an input on the system, if it has one, and connect the output of the satellite box to that input.

craigmb

Auditioning
Real Name
craig branscum
Ok here

Picture of My Surround sound system and how i've got cords plugged in
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f2...w/100_0349.jpg

Picture of My T.v Them cords are the other end of the cords from the surround sound system cords
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f2...w/100_0350.jpg

heres my New-wave satelite box

and more details

my T.v Does no put out sound while watching dvd only through the Surround sound speakers

My sound sound does not turn down while watching Television.and if i repeatably hit the down button for volum my dvd system turns off

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Those pictures are not showing the connection labels. It really would be better if you just told us the model numbers of the components. All four components (TV, receiver, DVD, and the satellite).

But one possible problem I see, why is the audio connection attached to a different block (column) than the video? Typically, these would be attached in the same column. (Attaching them in the same block should give you sound through the TV; but in your case you really would want these cables (the red&white) to go to your receiver, not the TV at all.)

And I'll mention on more time, instead of using the composite connection (yellow) you should get a component cable (red/green/blue). This will give you a better picture.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Your picture shows on the back of the surround sound box, on the second column of jacks, red + white "audio in" jacks. You need to connect the red/white outputs of the satellite box to those jacks. Then find some button on the surround sound remote to switch to that input.

It's unclear what you are trying to use the TV audio connections for. Do you also use an antenna connection to the TV or also have cable TV? Or are you connecting the satellite to the TV via the coax RF screw-on connection?

Always connect from outputs to inputs. You might be trying to connect an output to another output which is a mistake.

It would be helpful if you described how each set of jacks is labeled on the back of your surround receiver. Your picture has most labels either washed out or out of focus. For the white/red jacks connected to the TV on the far right, are they labeled "input" or "output"?

If you want to do a photo, then remove the cables and make sure the labels are in focus.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
OK, I found the manual for your system. You are connecting the output of the surround to the output of the TV which is wrong.

What you want to do is connect yellow/red/white output from your satellite to the back of the surround, to the second column of jacks on the receiver, which are *inputs*. Then leave the current video out to the TV connected to your TV, but *disconnect* the red/white outputs on the far right, you don't need them.

To view satellite, then hit "function" on your surround sound to get to the AV input, and leave the TV on the input you are currently using for DVD.

For improved video from the DVD you can use the component video out jacks, the red/green/blue set on the far left, connected to the corresponding jacks on the TV with a set of component video cables. You'll have to cycle the TV to that input.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Because he actually does have the audio output from the HTiB connected to the TV audio output. Therefore he has no sound going to the TV from the HTiB at all. And I'm not sure which remote he's trying to use for which device.

Craig: You have to understand that signal connections have direction. They follow a path from one device to another. If you want sound from your HTiB's DVD player to your TV you need to run a wire from the audio output on the HTiB to the audio input on the TV. The connection you've made does nothing at all.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks