What's new

Volume level on sets with no speaker off switch? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I found that the new JVC sets have done away with the speaker off switch in the menu and now only have a fixed audio out. I was looking at the Samsungs and they seem the same way. Does anyone know if turning the volume down all the way turns the sound off completely? I've seen some sets that still have a little sound coming from the speakers even at 0 volume.

Doing away with the speaker off seems dumb to me. I listen to the TV with headphones at night and it's good to know I won't fall asleep and roll onto the remote and turn up the volume since the speakers are set off. I guess most people don't care but for me it's something I'd like to have in a new set, but may have to forget about. :-(

Thanks,
BrianGC

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If there's no speaker off in the menu look for a physical switch on the set to turn the speakers off. I have an old Hitachi 27" that is like that--a mechanical switch to turn off the speakers.

If you use a satellite or cable box with audio outputs, don't even hook them to the TV, then you won't get any sound from the TV speakers, whether they're on or not. If you're running cable directly into the TV, you can use a VCR for tuning instead and run the audio into your receiver.

KJP

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My Sony has a speaker off switch buried deeply into the menu. I have analog cable connected directly to the set with no box, but for all my other sources (HD stb, dvd, etc.) I route video direct to the tv and audio to the receiver--no connection to the tv. I don't have to turn the volume down at all as there's no sound from the speakers at all on the sources with no audio inputs to the tv, even with the tv volume at normal level for analog cable.

My hd box also gets Directv and all my local ota stations both analog and digital. The only time I use the analog cable is in the morning for the news when I'm not likely to fall asleep.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Turning the volume control down all the way does turn the volume "off" but you may still get some slight noise (static & etc) through the tv's speakers once in awhile but nothing that should really bother you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks