What's new

Vizio V21 and Epson 3200 Compatability (1 Viewer)

Bats8711

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan M
Hi all

I just got Vizio V21 soundbar + wireless subwoofer to use with Epson 3200 projector via bluetooth connection. When trying to pair, I see the vizio speakers in the Epson menu, however when I choose, it appears to connect and quickly disconnect. I tried to pair with a very old (10+years) small portable bluetooth speaker and worked immediately. I also paired the Vizio with my phone + laptop - so both projector & soundbar are able to connect via bluetooth, just not with each other.

I called Epson support who gave the impression that there is a compatibility issue, and gave me the list of specs that are required:
  • Bluetooth 3.0
  • Supported profile: A2DP
  • Content Protection: SCMS-T
  • Frequency: 2.4 hz
  • Codecs: SBCN or QualcommAPTX
I then called Vizio - it was a bit difficult to get a firm answer as most of this info wasn't available to their support team, but I finally got somebody who was able to check and confirmed that all specs looked good except the SCMS-T content protection, which was not listed (they specified this does not mean it doesn't have it, just that it wasn't published). We tried some other troubleshooting (resetting, etc), but were not able to fix the issue. This made us think that the V21 is indeed not compatible, most likely because it didn't have SCMS-T - but of course I'm not sure and want to do my best to troubleshoot and try to fix before I have to return the soundbar and start my search over again.

It seems very strange - how can a cheap fit-in-your-hand portable bluetooth speaker from 10+ years ago work, but a brand new Vizio soundbar doesn't? And why does a rather expensive new projector require such seemingly obscure / uncommon specs.

TL;DR - I'm wondering if:
  • anybody has experience or knowledge with compatibility issues with Vizio (V21) soundbars and/or Epson (3200) Projectors
  • there are any Epson 3200 owners that have a soundbar connected via BT, and if so which ones work
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Bats8711

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan M
Hi all - wanted to follow up on this. I have confirmed the issue is that the Vizio V21 does not have SCMS-T content protection. The thing is - I can't find any sound bars that actually do have it. Best Buy (where I bought the Vizio) confirmed none of the sound bars they sell have it. And an internet search turns up nothing - this doesn't seem to be a spec that is listed or apparent. Any help finding SCMS-T compatible sound bars would be appreciated, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks