Visiting LA in October, what MUST I see?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SimonB, Sep 21, 2002.

1. SimonB

SimonB Auditioning

Hi all,
    I don't often post here, but I do browse a lot to keep an eye on what my 'cousins' in the USA are up to.
    I'm visiting the US for the first time, from Perth, Western Australia, at the end of this month.
    I'm going to Salt Lake City for 5 days and then LA (Anaheim) for the Microsoft conference for another 5 days.
    I have 1 day before MEC, but believe we're going to Disneyland then [​IMG] However, I have 2 more days off in LA before I head back to Perth.
    Does anyone have some suggestions as to must-do's whilst I'm there? For example, I'm told I must go to Universal Studios and I would like to catch a movie in a good theatre. So, some suggestions are welcome!
    Regards,
    Simon....

2. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Drive bys. [​IMG]

3. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Swing by an outlet and get a box of "Krispy Kreme" donuts.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Um, Anaheim is not Los Angeles. It's in Orange County, some twenty or so miles south.

5. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

If you're a film buff, the Chinese Theater and the various studio tours are a must, as well as Disneyland (though, as Jack says, it's not in L.A). We also have good art museums, a decent natural history museum, and rockin' clubs like the Viper Room, etc. Great resteraunts, too, with a myriad of great ethnic cuisines.

6. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

If you like cars, the Peterson Automotive Museum is a "must see". http://www.petersen.org/
    I was completely blown away by this place. Gotta go back!

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

The Bradbury Building downtown and a Greene & Greene House in Pasadena.

8. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Simon,
    Are you ever in luck! I live a 1/2 hour towards Palm Springs from Anahiem and I speak Australian..
    I was taught the Queensland dialect (Toowoomba, on the downs outside of Brisbane).
    Kidding aside, there are several points of interest and activities not on the typical tourist itinerary.
    If you'd like, my wife and I would be pleased to show you around, perhaps help with tickets, arrange transportation, tell you when to duck, lend you a vest for L.A., etc.
    We have a couple of suggestions for your visit..
    1. While Disneyland is enjoyable, it lacks impact for an adult unless you take your kiddies. If surreal, through the looking glass, time suspended illusion is what you're looking for, Las Vegas is just over 3 hours drive. For a first time visitor, the city is sensory overload. There are an infinite number of sights and activities found nowhere else on earth. We urge you to have a look.
    2. About 2 hours away is perhaps the finest thrill ride theme park anywhere. It's named Magic Mountian. If you are a coaster fan, or would like to be, they offer an endless array of state of the art terror trains.
    3. If you bike, a local ski resort hauls Mtn. bikers up the mountian on the chair lift. 11,000 plus ft. in altitude at the top trails. Guess what? There isn't any air that high. I don't recall Perth having much in heights, so I think you'd enjoy our local mountians. Beautiful
    countryside few expect to see in So. Cal. My wife has a killer Trek Y frame you are welcome to ride.
    The invitation to come blow the froth off a couple is genuine, feel free to give a buzz.
    In any case, enjoy yourself in our wonderful land.