What's new

Virtual Matrix (1 Viewer)

Ian Eishen

Auditioning
Hello,

I am somewhat new to this forum but I have dipping my hand in HT for a while. I have two questions.

1. Is Virtual Matrix 6.1 sound any different from basic 5.1 or is it just a marketing gimick.

2. I am looking for a small 2 or 3 channel amp for my apt HT. I just want to push my front L and R or all three front speakers. Any suggestions?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Gimmick? Judgement call. IS pro logic a gimmick? Is pro logic 2 a gimmick? Certainly the manufacturers are looking to offer new formats to sell more gear-- are they bad by that alone? No. Could it be a gimmick? Certainly.
In dolby's defense, It seems like a basic way to offer more channels of audio while keeping them backward compatible. Just like a "center" channel can be easily extrapolated from whatever is sent evenly to 2 L/R channels-- the same can be done for a rear channel.
It does make a difference.
A huge one? Depends on your room, and config.
Also, remember that DTS offers a "discrete" 6.1 format as well-- so once you have the rear center installed- you can take advantage of both systems (software permitting of course).
:)
Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks