Virtual Matrix

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ian Eishen, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Ian Eishen

Ian Eishen Auditioning

Jan 22, 2002
    I am somewhat new to this forum but I have dipping my hand in HT for a while. I have two questions.

1. Is Virtual Matrix 6.1 sound any different from basic 5.1 or is it just a marketing gimick.

2. I am looking for a small 2 or 3 channel amp for my apt HT. I just want to push my front L and R or all three front speakers. Any suggestions?
  2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jan 18, 1999
    Gimmick? Judgement call. IS pro logic a gimmick? Is pro logic 2 a gimmick? Certainly the manufacturers are looking to offer new formats to sell more gear-- are they bad by that alone? No. Could it be a gimmick? Certainly.
    In dolby's defense, It seems like a basic way to offer more channels of audio while keeping them backward compatible. Just like a "center" channel can be easily extrapolated from whatever is sent evenly to 2 L/R channels-- the same can be done for a rear channel.
    It does make a difference.
    A huge one? Depends on your room, and config.
    Also, remember that DTS offers a "discrete" 6.1 format as well-- so once you have the rear center installed- you can take advantage of both systems (software permitting of course).