What's new

Virginia Computer Sale Causes Near Riot (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
but.. but.. ITS AN iBOOK!!!

haha, imagine if they were selling iPODs for $50... THE HORROR!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh Virginians are so silly. :p)

I especially like how they were giving them away at a race track. :laugh:

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
From the news video I saw, they should have made everyone line up on a first-come first-serve basis instead of just throwing open the gate and making it "every person for themselves". I'll bet the lawyers are already signing them up for a lawsuit.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The ibooks had the following system configuration.
500 MHz G3. 320 MB Ram. 10 GB Hard drive 802.11b networking. 12 inch screen. Not sure of the optical drive.

I have a similar machine, with 384 MB, and a DVD drive, but without wireless. I still use it on a daily basis, though the hard drive is getting a bit tight. I run OSX 10.4 (the latest version). It's too old for games, but for programming, email, web, etc, it's pretty decent.

However, these machines are sold "as is."

source

Generally well built, yes (except for the video screen cable, sigh). But not bulletproof, waterproof, or even ruggedized.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Sounds like if you go to future sales there, you need to worry more about yourself not being "bulletproof, waterproof, or even ruggedized".

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I believe they were made of bulletproof material then. It was a gimmick somebody noted after they were released. The iBooks are more rugged than the PBs, moreso with that gen too.

However, it's funny they have a riot selling them, but didn't think enough to up the resale price even when there were rumors of folks flying in to get them weeks ago.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just when I think I've seen/heard the stupidest thing people could ever do/say, someone comes along and proves me wrong.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Yes, it makes me ashamed to live here.

Supposedly, the school board set the price @ $50 a long time ago and they left it there. The sale was supposed to occur at the government complex, but due to interest and media coverage, they decided to move it to a larger venue. Then, people complained because the county taxpayers had paid for the things originally, but the sale was open to everyone, and there were rumors of people flying in from around the country, so they changed it to residents or taxpayers only. Then, they said noone could line up before 7AM but people were out there @ 1:30AM lining up. They didn't hire enough off-duty police to handle the crowd, and finally, the greed and mob mentality took over to create the fiasco seen nationally.

It also didn't help that the media found the most illiterate, uneducated, (dare I say) country-hick-ghetto people to interview after the fact.

Now, on the national stage, Richmond is known for:

1. Capitol of the Confederacy
2. Racism
3. The iBook stampede

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks