What's new

Vintage TV Series You Want To See The BD Treatment? (1 Viewer)

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
Mission:Impossible
Hogan's Heroes
The Andy Griffith Show
The Wild Wild West
The Six Million Dollar Man
Columbo
Charlie's Angels
The Time Tunnel
The Fugitive
V (miniseries and series)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Magnum, PI (Region A--the UK import is expensive!)

Expense is all relative. Mine cost $190 with shipping included. It's 163 episodes on 37 discs. Which amounts to about $1.16 an episode. This is less than what Vudu charges per episode for HDX streams of new shows. I received mine for Christmas and I still haven't finished it yet.

Last edited:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The rest of I Love Lucy
Bewitched
Dynasty
H.R. Pufnstuf
Wild Wild West
Bonanza
V
The Big Valley
Third Rock from the Sun
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Happy Days
Fantasy Island

Little House on the Prairie and Lost in Space were my grails on blu-ray, and they came out already.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Kino is strongly rumored to be releasing The Outer Limits so that will be coming soon for its fans.

My list is short. Avengers S4 (B&W episodes) and The Green Hornet

Classic TV on BD doesn't sell so I'm not going to get false hopes up on others and I really don't want to support BD-lite releases like VEI and Mill Creek are putting out.

Many of the CBS/P releases already look superb on DVD and I can't justify rebuying them even if they were re-released. After taking a bath with the Lucy and Andy releases I don't see them releasing anything directly on BD.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kino is strongly rumored to be releasing The Outer Limits so that will be coming soon for its fans.

My list is short. Avengers S4 (B&W episodes) and The Green Hornet

Classic TV on BD doesn't sell so I'm not going to get false hopes up on others and I really don't want to support BD-lite releases like VEI and Mill Creek are putting out.

Many of the CBS/P releases already look superb on DVD and I can't justify rebuying them even if they were re-released. After taking a bath with the Lucy and Andy releases I don't see them releasing anything directly on BD.

Don't paint Mill Creek with the fetid VEI brush.

MC is getting HD masters directly from Universal. VEI are the ones upscaling videotapes.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Outer Limits
77 Sunset Strip
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
The Time Tunnel
Gunsmoke
Laramie
Combat!
Kolchak, the Night Stalker (plus the two made for TV movies)
Hawaii 5-0 (original series)
The High Chaparral
Alfred Hitchock (Presents and Hour)
The Green Hornet
The Wild, Wild West
Dragnet
The Fugitive
Route 66

If you're gonna dream, dream big

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Mine would be -

The Defenders (if it is going to be remastered why not go the whole way and release it on blu-ray?)
Land of the Giants
The Time Tunnel
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
My World and Welcome To It.
Nanny and the Professor
Planet of the Apes
Fantastic Journey
Logan's Run
Flipper
Daktari
The Debbie Reynolds Show

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Deep Space Nine

The High Chaparral

Land of the Giants

The Time Tunnel

The Addams Family

The Fugitive

Bewitched

Nanny and the Professor

Hawaii 5-0 / Police Woman / Columbo / Shaft / Ironside / McCloud / Kojak / Cannon / Ellery Queen / Longstreet / The Snoop Sisters

The Untouchables

The Immortal

Tarzan

Gilligan's Island

The Wild Wild West

Alias Smith and Jones

The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters

[More recent vintage:]

Foyle's War (UK) fragmented BD releases, not complete

Hornblower (UK) anyone know about the quality of the German release?

Frasier

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
odd that you say serious chance. The original Twilight Zone was initially released by Image/CBS, fingers are crossed that Kino will be releasing Outer Limits:TOS.

this being a Universal title and who their release partners are; either Shout! Factory or Mill Creek, I will give you one guess as to the company that would be able to do this title, a quality release. just wish that some kind of work would be done on this specific title.
My doubt comes entirely from that they haven't finished Alfred Hitchcock Presents on DVD so I don't there's much chance for a Blu-ray. I hope I'm totally wrong though. :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
My doubt comes entirely from that they haven't finished Alfred Hitchcock Presents on DVD so I don't there's much chance for a Blu-ray. I hope I'm totally wrong though. :)

exactly why i was thinking Shout, they have a pretty good track record of finishing up series, also, they have done some of their best collectors editions of universal properties. my love / hate relationship with uni is frustrating, with all they have in the catalog, they could be knocking it out of the park, hell all of the majors could and still have enough to spread around.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
the 'I know it will never happen but it is fun to dream' section:

-Shazam
-The Secrets of Isis
-Ark II
-Jason Of Star Command
-Space Academy

-Bigfoot, and Wildboy

I can't speak for Shazam! or Bigfoot/Wildboy, but as for the other series mentioned, the big problem is what kind of masters are available. From the information I had been given, when Hallmark owned the rights, they transferred those shows to PAL format digital tape for UK syndication. They had no intention of trying to make a US sale, so they only transferred them to PAL. After doing the digital transfer, it was said that they junked the original (film) masters. If this is the case, a blu-ray would be quite impossible!

When Entertainment Rights acquired the rights from Hallmark, the only masters that could be located were the PAL ones (which date back to the mid 1990s). It would appear those are the only masters currently in existence (apart from privately-held prints amongst collectors). However, I was told by an insider that when E.R. received all the Filmation holdings, there was a ton of material, and even a year or two after the acquisition, they still hadn't catalogued it all, so it's possible (but not know) that some or all of the 16mm films might still exist, but again, I've never heard anything to make this seem likely.

Whether or not film material ever turn up, it's highly unlikely that Classic Media (the current rights holder) will pay to have the masters re-done for HD (or even for proper-speed NTSC). They can't even be bothered to re-issue these on DVD, when the second-hand collector prices for the OOP sets are very high indeed!

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I'd love to support a lot of these bluray released sets but no subtitles = no sale for me. Even Magnum, PI, my favorite show from the 80's was released without subtitles.
Looks like I'll be sticking to the DVD releases of most of these sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks