What's new

VIDEO mode WORSE on the new JVC-600...??? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all,

I just got a modified code-free JVC 600. PAL-NTSC conversion is perfect, truly beautiful. BUT, the Video mode in 480P is pretty awful. Now, I already have a JVC-70, and that's been acknowledged to have a so-so video mode, but it was livable. The 600 looks fine in Video mode if there isn't any fast movement or fast pans, then LOOKOUT! It becomes a jittery, juddery digital looking mess, as if the image was pulsing, or breathing. Expanding and then contracting, almost as if it were in the wrong mode." MUCH, MUCH worse than the 70, I A/B'd it to make sure on the same system, same input by switching the component cables. Ironically, it looks WAY better in 480i with my Mits. doing the de-interlacing, line doubling. (And Mits. BTW, is NOT known for having the best line-doubler...!) Also the interlaced output looks better than it did on the 70. So, I'm wondring what's up...? I did a little searching and came across a thread on the JVC 500, stating to leave the player in SMART mode, (similar to my old 70...) I thought that the 600 was essentially the same as the 500, except for the addition of DVD-Audio and the removeable ZOOM icon. Well, here's the catch, there are only 3 Modes on the 600, FILM, VIDEO and AUTO (NO SMART!) unlike the 5 modes on the 70. If the 500 has a SMART mode, then it is not the same as the 600.
I had heard rumors that the 600 had a newer Mediamatics chip, and I posted lots of threads asking for any differences between the 70 and 600 in VIDEO mode and didn't get any real answers other than they both have inferior VIDEO modes to say, a Panny Rp-82. While I was expecting this, the newer video mode is headache inducing to say the least whenever there is quick movement.

So, what's the skinny? It seems as if they were trying to minimize the dreaded "jaggies" in Video mode by applying some odd processing or something and indeed on a static or barely moving image, the pic. looks decent and LESS jaggy than the 70, but then.... ACK!
The best analogy is when VIDEO material is treated to look like FILM, like, stuttery....
Could this have happened somehow by applying the ICOS chip mod. to make it region Free..? Or is this just a different chip from the 70? I've been throwing VIDEO sourced stuff at the new 600 all afternoon. When stuff was shot on VIDEO, it looks ok. Actually, quite a bit like film, like closer to a 24fr. per sec. rate... The U2 Elevation cocert DVD looks JUST like this, shot on VIDEO, then altered to look more Film-like, less Smooth... (odd, yes... The 70 did NOT do this.)
But stuff shot on FILM, edited and mastered on VIDEO like ALOT of DVD docs. Music video comps. (U2, Best of '80-'90 etc...) Look REAL bad.

I've done ALOT of searching and know there are many content 600 owners. Did I just get a BUM unit? Or does the code-free modification somehow alter the chip? FILM mode is perfect, actually looks slightly SHARPER than it does on the 70. Not a bad thing I guess... I'm kinda hoping it's my particular unit as I will just get it replaced. If the VIDEO mode in 480P was identical to the 70, I'd be fine, but if this is it... :frowning: I guess I could always watch VIDEO based material in 480i. Interestingly in the Manual for the 600 it states...
"There are Some Progressive TV and HD sets that are not fully compatible with the unit, resulting in the unnatural picture when playing back a DVD in the progressive scanning mode. In such a case, use the interlaced scanning mode. To check the compatability of your TV set, contact your local JVC customer service center." and... "ALL JVC prog. TV and HD TV sets are fully compatible with the unit."
Interesting... This statement is NOT in the manual for the SA70... And what on EARTH does that mean..?? I own a Mits. 55908 Diamond. Guess I might be making a phone call...

Any opinions, guys...?

Dave

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Anyone? I really need to decide what to do soon, whether an exchange or a refund. If any 600 owner can tell me what their video mode in 480P looks like with metarial flagged for video mode, (Music video comps. docs. etc.... Mine is VERY strobey, looks defective.

Thanx, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks