What's new

Help needed... New JVC "stuttering..." NOT combing... (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Ok, here's the deal...
I just got a new modified (Region-free) JVC XV-NA70BK the other day to upgrade from an older 600, (also region free...) The 600 had certain issues, the subtitle bug, a REALLY bad Video mode, MUCH worse than the mode on my previous JVC SA70, and had a tendency for the pic. to jump whenever there was a bright flash on the screen, like in the flashback scnes in The Crow...
Well, 1st... The PQ on the new NA70 looked amazing. Apparently the 12 bit D/A convereter looks better then the 10 bit on the earlier models.
2nd, No subtitle bug.
3rd, no pic. jumping during flashing scenes...
4th, an additional VIDEO mode called ACTIVE which is MUCH better than the 600's, about on par with the old SA70's still not great but watchable...
5th, A 1.8X zoom which scales non annie WS material perfectly, (like Titanic...)

Then the bad news... After watching and enjoying the pic. for awhile, I started noticing something... The Pic. would skip. Like a stutter... NOT like the VIDEO mode on the 600, that was more of a double image mess... This was as if you were watching at 15fps. instead of 30. It was Most noticeable on pans of course. And the freaky thing is, it would come and go. If you paused the DVD when occuring, it might stop for awhile but then it could start back up. And this was in FILM mode, with a film based DVD, like American Beauty... This is NOT a "combing" issue.

So I did some searching on the net and discovered that this problem was prevalent in many of the newer models.. the 44, 50 and 55, with many websit and owner reviews noting and complaining about the problem.
Also, the 55 and 70 and 77 have been pulled from sale on Amazon, perhaps JVC realized the problem and are trying to rectify it.

So, anyone know the story? In every other regard, this player is pretty sweet. GREAT PAL-NTSC conversion, 1.8 zoom, windowboxing of 4x3, and the 12 bit DAC looks better than the 10 bit on the 600 and 70. Incredible PQ IMHO...

Is there maybe a firmware fix? Did I just get a lemon and some models are ok? (seemed to be the case re: the 50 over at Amazon reviews...

And if I do have to return it, any reccs. for a 12 bit (after 12, hard to go back to 10 bit...) PAL-NTSC converting player with decent FILM and VIDEO modes, windowboxing and zoom..?
I heard that the Philips 963 is great but has the "angle" bug and can only zoom when pillarboxed...

Or should I just hang onto my old 600 until I am ready to upgrade to a DVI player when my monitor situation changes,...

:frowning: Bummed in NYC....

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You are correct that stuttering on pans bug is an issue on the newer JVC models like the N40,N50,N70 models. Its a design problem so it occurs on all units of those models, yours is not a unique lemon. You will have to wait and see if JVC comes up with a fixed design, most likely new models later this year. I'd take that model back while you can.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester

The Crow is my go to "TEST" disc for the very issue you are refering to. I bought a 7-disc JVC changer (XV-FA902SL) at a great price at the time. The last thing in the world I thought I would see was the "bright white/video cut out" issue because I've had previous JVCs without the problem. Most of the time, the player was fine until a movie had a white dissolve, large explosion, lightning, etc. appear on the screen. I've since had to put the player in a bedroom with an interlaced tv - the problem only appeared with progressive.

In the past, I've had RCA products do the same thing.

Not making any kind of point here, just glad you mentioned the issue here.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys, thanx for the replys. Unfortunately I want PAL-NTSC capability which the JVC's happen to do VERY well, and the Panny's like the xp30, etc... dont do this..
It seems that if I power off and on before each DVD, the stuttering problem doesn't seem to manifest. odd...
Also, the 12 bit DOES seem to produce a better pic than my old 10 bit DAC 600. From reading various things, it seems to make the color a bit more diverse and accurate. In FILM mode, Pic. is the best I've ever seen even displayed in a showroom and I have a tweaked, calibrated Mits. Diamond, best they make...Of course I don't have DVI yet, and the new Denon's are supposed to be pretty great, but until then...
And yeah, the pic. juping on my 600 drove me CRAZY!! Happened in Buffy eps. alot as well. Well, that is DEFINITELY fixed with this midel but the power on every dice glitch is odd to say the least BUT livable if that's all it takes...

D

Ok.. update, sun morn....
Apparently the stuttering phenomenon happens when you scan, (FF or Rew) while watching a disc. I played several discs last nite, 1 all the way through, and it only occurs after scanning. Chapter skipping and pausing doesn't cause it.
Maybe this explains why some people who own and gave a user review of these models haven't noticed the stuttering. Some people just watch DVD's with the occasional pause but without scanning.

:) D

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
What do you mean by powering on and off before each DVD? Does this mean turning off the DVD player while the disc is inside? Also, I'll have to try the no scanning thing and see if I still have this problem.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
You only have to power off and on if you trigger the stutter through scanning. If you don't it shouldn't be a problem. I'll watch several discs in a row and just not scan. That DEFINITELY causes it.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Another question: Do you have the mode on FILM always when watching films and Video (active) on when watching video material always, or do you just leave it on Auto at all times? Does it matter?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rich, I always put it in FILM mode when it's film based, that way I can catch combing/flag error issues. And try AUTO if I'm unsure and watch the light on front. RED=VIDEO, GREEN=FILM...
Check my ZOMBI 2 Not encoded correctly post in the Film software forum if interested. Not encoded for FILM mode, I was pissed..!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I think that's the power light. The light indicating the prog. mode is on the right side and is only on when the player is in prog. mode. You might be in interlaced out mode all this time...!
Does your monitor tell you the signal you have coming in...?
My Mits says 480P when in prog. and 480i when in interlaced mode. Try pressing and HOLDING down the VFP Prog. scan button on your remote. After about 3 secs. the mode and light should come on.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Well, I don't have a 16x9 TV. I got a 32 inch 4:3 so I think I've had it set to interlaced. Would it even matter if I changed it to progressive? Should I?

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Sorry for all the questions, but because I have a 4:3 TV and am using interlaced, do the film and video (active) settings still apply to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks