What's new

Apparently no auto scaling for properly flagged discs with the JVC 600... (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, the fun and discovery of the new 600 continue...
Apparently unlike the JVC sa-70, the 600 does NOT auto-scale. Yes, it still has zoom, but it doesn't fit the screen as well as the scaling of the 70.
So, lessee.. 2 fewer prog. scan modes... a MUCH worse Video mode in 480P... audio dynamic compresion either "ON" or "AUTO" (meaning ON, No OFF anymore) and now NO auto-scaling capabilities. Whoever said this player was basically the newer model of the sa-70 was a bit off.
If it wasn't for the superb PAL-NTSC conversion, I'd be sending this back in an INSTANT.

Bummed....

:frowning: D

P.S. If any 600 owners have players that DO auto-scale, (You can check with Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure, The Thing, among others....) Please lemme know as I undoubtedly have a defective unit.

Peace!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dave,
Try The Abyss. If it doesn't scale that, it doesn't scale.

Also, do you get black bars on the side of 4/3 films? You should if the scaling is working.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Steve,

I don't own The Abyss, but I do have Poseidon, Towering and The Thing. No dice on all of those. And on my sa-70, it scales them automatically.
It still does put the black bars on the 4x3 stuff, but the Philips 963 does that as well, without scaling.
Any 600 owners out there with any of these discs, can ya pop 1 in and lemme know?

Thanx! D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is it possible your aspect control setting is wrong and always forcing it into 4x3 w/ sidebars?

_Man_

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Man,

I'm using it in the mode, 16:9 Normal, which is what I used for the sa-70. I have read that the 500 scales but can't find any threads indicating scaling with the 600.
Either I REALLY have a BUM unit, JVC has eliminated the auto-scaling on the 600 or somehow the ICOS chip modification affects the unit in quirky ways like this and screwing up the VIDEO mode. I think I'm gonna pick up a new 600 tom'w and compare. If this is how the unit is suppossed to work, than JVC has really come down in quality since the sa-70 and I might just send this back and try out the Philips....

:frowning: D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Dave,

Is it possible they changed how that setting works? Did you try 16x9 Auto (IIRC)?

On my Panny RP91, my choices are Auto, Shrink and Zoom. If I want (flag-based) auto-scaling, I have to use Auto.

_Man_

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I tried 16x9 Auto and it only stretches the image horizontally. I think this is DEFINITELY a different player than the 500, not just inclusion of DVD-audio and fixed zoom icon. There are only 3 Prog. modes now and I believe there are 5 on the 500, like my sa-70.
Could be a slightly different mediamatics chip. I'm happy with the FILM mode, very happy with PAL-NTSC conv. but the VIDEO mode in 480P is unwatchable and now I have to zoom my old discs that were auto-flagged b4.

Philips, on the horizon maybe...

:) D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah! That's one more reason to get a scaling player, which I usually forget to mention. :D Of course, there are quite a few players that do the 4x3 shrink/pillarbox/sidebar thing even though they don't all do letterbox scaling.

_Man_

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
I am planning to pick up a Denon 2900 in the next little while I know it does the 4:3 shrink but I'm not sure if it does letterbox scaling. Does anyone know?

THX

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks