What's new

Video essentials s-vidoe vs componant (1 Viewer)

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
Has any one notices that when using component that the colors are are bit more difficult to get dialed in vs using S-video??Am I correct in assuming that component bypass'es the TV's internal comb filter or equivalent??
Greg
the newest wide screen snob:D

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Well, yes, you are... but so does s-video.

The base settings (color decoder, grayscale) can be different, depending on the input/input type so that may be an issue.

On some sets tint is disabled when using component, which is a valiant idea, I suppose, but is a bad idea, in practice. You should be able to adjust via the service menu if this is the case.

Can you describe in more detail what your problem is?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Greg: The SVideo feed does go through another filter to create component video internally, but this one is usually easier to do. This is why there is a small improvement in quality with component over SVideo.

The two inputs should be nearly identical in their ability to adjust.

Are you having trouble seeing problems with the component feed? It could be that the quality is so good already it's not obvious how to adjust it.

You are not toggling back and forth between the feeds to adjust are you?

Some TV's have separate adjustment for each input. Others only have one set. If your TV is the latter type, I think you want to pick your highest-quality source (DVD/HD Decoder) and your best connection (Component) and calibrate using this.

If the component video feed is INCONSISTANT where something seems to change every other time, check your cables. Disconnect and re-connect all the plugs. Make sure the cable is not running near power cords or speaker wires. While watching a static test-pattern, have someone move the component cable. Does the video image change as the cable is moved? If so, you've either got interference or something about the cable is bad/loose/damaged. Try another cable. (not a cheap thing I know).

Very Important: before you sit down to adjust, make sure to turn on your TV for a good 30 minutes to let the tubes & electronics warm up to their steady-state value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks