1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Control Device - Video Switch

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin-R-S, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Kevin-R-S

    Kevin-R-S Agent

    Jan 5, 2006
    Likes Received:
    Not sure if I am using the right terminology but I have a few questions about setting up my HT with a video switch that can handle all my connections.

    I need a device that I can used to switch between my different video requirements. What I mean is a this:

    I have run RGB 5 for component video (red green blue) from my AV center to my projector. The extra two cables in the RGB5 cable I will use for s-video, and RCA video.

    What I need now is a device that I can use to plug in all my different components (ie. cable box, satellite, Xbox, DVD). So essentially something with 5 or 6 of these inputs, and one master output that will connect to my projector.

    Can this be accomplished by simply buying the right Digital HT receiver. Or is it better to use a separate device.

    Also, I plan on terminating a wall plate which has Component video inputs, S-video inputs, RCA video and Audio Inputs, as well as coaxial Digital audio. HAs anyone seen a wall plate like this. My point behind this type of termination is so that I can simply plug in a video camera or a game console into the wall at the front of the room instead of having to plug them in at the back of the room where my AV rack is located.

    Is what I am talking about possible, and if so can someone shed some light on what I might need for equipment to handle this.

  2. Brian Osborne

    Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

    Sep 2, 2005
    Likes Received:
    I would go the route of a converting A/V reciever. I went with the Onkyo 803, it will conver any signal (except HDMI) into Component out. A nice little feature that many new amps are doing. You should have plenty of inputs to accomidate all of your equipment and one button switching of components.

    For your wall plates, you might be suprised what Home Depot has. If they don't have what you need check out Partsexpress, they have a good assortment. I'm sure there are other sites that have a good assortment too.
    Here is a link for partsexpress....
  3. Parker Clack

    Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

    Jun 30, 1997
    Likes Received:
    Kansas City, MO
    Real Name:

    Check out RAM Electronics too. They sell a large number of component switching devices.

    If you go the receiver route I would look into the Outlaw Audio 990 or the 970 models. They both offer a lot of switching capabilities and don't cost you an arm and a leg at the same time.
  4. Leo Kerr

    Leo Kerr Screenwriter

    May 10, 1999
    Likes Received:

    Be aware, S-video requires two pieces of coax.


Share This Page