Vexx Demo Camera - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I was playing the Vexx demo from this month's Official Xbox Magazine game disc. It looks like fun (not being much into platformers) but the camera and control is brutal. Control is completely inverted - up is down, left is right. I can understand an inverted vertical axis as it's a pretty common control option (although why anybody prefers this I have no clue - completely unintuitive IMO), but horizontal as well? I'm hoping this is either a) a glitch on the demo, or b) something that can be adjusted in the full game's setup. Thoughts?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

My thoughts? The camera had "issues". A few games are doing that inverted horizontal control these days - I can get used to it pretty quickly, but I've no idea if the full game has an option to change it.

Vexx has potential, but I really hope the camera's tweaked in the full game.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The rationale is (and I've been battling it myself): "when the player hits left on the stick to rotate the camera, is he wanting to look to something to his left or "move" the camera left (which effectively looks to your right)".

That make sense logically?

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Hmm...I played the Vexx demo briefly but I didn't notice the inversion. The vertical inversion I'm used to, as it's my preferred control scheme (carried over from flight simulators, I guess...push up on the stick to force the nose down, pull back on the stick to go up), but horizontal inversion? That's weird. I'll have to pay more attention the next time I play the demo. I do remember struggling with the camera a bit; guess I wasn't paying close enough attention as to why.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

7. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I had the same problem with the Vexx demo Jay...and I think Toe Jam & Earl (Xbox) was the same way. It just turns me right off...hate it. You're wrong about the vertical axis, though...that should be inverted. [​IMG] Damn developers should be drawn & quartered for not giving us the option to adjust this...maybe it's just that way in the demo though.

It's too bad, 'cause now when I think of Vexx I just think to myself "oh that's the game that I couldn't control worth a crap" & will never give it another chance. Stupid stupid stupid.

8. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

I've played a few demos before where inversion (whatever flavor you like) or control customization wasn't available, but was a feature of the full game.

9. Donald Wong

Donald Wong Agent

And somebody should give that character some shoes with grip. It takes him a good while to start up or stop. Combined with the camera, this was a very frustrating for me to play. Either release a good demo, or don't release a demo at all.