What's new

Versus (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I just finished watching this flick. I have to say, I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's crazy over the top but they make it work - very comic-book style. This film is short on plot and long on body count, with a large dose of humor thrown in. I think it works because they don't try to reign anything in - they just let their hair down and roll with it.

The video quality could be better but that may be a function of the film's low budget. Also, the soundtrack is only 2.0 - it sounds surprisingly spry however.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I only watched the first 10 minutes, gotta get to it, sure glad I bought the DVD though. But only 'cause it's the only edition, otherwise it sucks, bad video/audio quality.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
It is certainly not going to be anybody's reference demo but I heard movie was made for less than $500,000 so I'm sure this is more a function of that budget more than anything else. They put on one heck of a show - amazing considering what little money they had to work with.

LouieT

Grip
Todd,

Where did you buy the Versus disc? I saw it at a few places, but wanted your feedback on the disc quality. I saw a few on Ebay, but I think they are bootlegs. If your's is an official release, how is the quality, transfer, extras, etc.?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I got mine off Ebay and it seems to be authentic - though I'm not sure if I could tell if it was a bootleg unless it was very obvious. The disc plays flawlessly in my Sony player which does not like cheap DVDs (like some HK discs).
Is there any good way to check if a disc is a bootleg?
EDIT: I took this off the seller's page for the auction I bought Versus from:
JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW, THERE IS ANOTHER SELLER ON EBAY THAT IS TRYING TO CLAIM I AM SELLING DVD-R DISCS, THAT IS A COMPLETE LIE. I ONLY SELL ORIGINAL DISCS. HE IS SAYING THIS BECAUSE HE IS TRYING TO PASS HIS OLD CAMCORDER VERSION OF VERSUS OFF AS THE NEW VERSION BY STEALING MY DESCRIPTION AND MY PICTURE. IF YOU BUY FROM HIM YOU WILL GET THE OLD VERSION WITH THE OLD COVER AND THE OLD BAD QUALITY. THIS VERSION I AM SELLING IS ON AN ORIGINAL DVD DISC, AND IT IS THE UNCUT SPECIAL EDITION VERSION.
Take that for what you will.
This is not a disc you pick up for the quality of the A/V - it's just not there. The video itself is mediocre at best though it is anamorphic. For a 2.0 setup, the soundtrack is pretty good but it's a shame that for a movie this recent there isn't a 5.1 mix.
You're probably right to question the Ebay discs since, on the retail sites I went to, the DVD was going for $50.00 so I had to pull the trigger when I saw it on auction for $20.00.

Adam-C

Auditioning
Sorry Todd, you bought a bootleg. The only legit release is KSS's R2 Japanese release. Japanese discs don't get discounted to half their price. Unfortunately there are a few anime bootleggers who do contract work for bootlegs if a seller/buyer is wishing to order 1000 units or more. This is why bootlegs of Wild Zero, Ring 1 + 2, and Versus have popped up on ebay.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I believe there is a legit HK release of Versus, but it's cut

Media Blasters will be releasing it uncut in the US

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Furious is right on the money.

Bootleggers are getting better and better nowadays. I have original releases that look like they could be bootlegs -but are not-.

I have now seen bootlegs that will fool anybody who doesn't know about distribution rights of the official product.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Ah well. I'm relatively new to the import scene so I'm sure this won't be the first time I get taken in. I'll just have to be more careful in researching before I buy. Live and learn, I suppose.

Jeff,

What are the details on the US release?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's my understanding that the Region 0 release of Versus is a bootleg. Quality-wise, they took the digital files from official release and just added English and Cantonese subs and removed the region coding.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks