What's new

Veneering around corners question (1 Viewer)

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

My sub box is getting glued up tonight, so I'm thinking ahead to veneer.

I have 2x8 sheets of 10mil paper backed maple, one flat cut, and one quarter sawn.

I was planning to veneer around a roundover edge, made with a 3/8" roundover bit. I haven't done the routing for that yet, until I'm sure about the answer to my question.

I've read somewhere (I can't remember where) to only veneer roundovers parallel to the grain, not where the grain will cross the roundover edge perpendicularly.

My veneer rolls have the grain running long ways, so I don't have enough length to go around the box with the grain parallel to the roundove edge.

Is it possible to get the veneer to bend against the grain around the edge? If I wet it?

This is my first project, and first veneering as well, so thanks for all the help-

Wes Nance

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
3/8" is probably close to minimum for even 10 mil veneer when bending across the grain. I would try it dry first on a scrap piece with a routered edge. If it feels like it's cracking, you'de be better off getting a bigger radius bit. Wetting will help, but keep in mind, even if it makes the bend initially, it could still splinter later on. What kind of finish are you planning on applying? If oil, then it won't reinforce the wood fibers as much as a build type of finish.

Pete

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I would go for a larger radius roundover bit. 3/8" would probably work with enough contact cement applied correctly, but for aesthetics, a large enclosure looks good with a 3/4" radius roundover. At least consider 1/2".

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks,

One issue for me, is that my router only takes 1/4" bit for now- I plan to take this one back and get a more powerful router that takes 1/2", but for this project, this is what I've got.

It would seem that I'm limited to 1/2" roundover by shank size. I would love to do a bigger radius, but don't have the right tools at this moment.

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks