What's new

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This thread should be required reading for all those hyped about Criterion's Citizen Kane.

Check your expectations at the door.
Faith in the unbelievable has been a part of movie fandom for a long time ...
1629037543404.png

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Filtered productions like The Godfather? Very iffy. At a normal seating distance via home theater, little to be gained. On a huge theater screen? Yes.

I'm a bit concerned how The Godfather will turn out as it's been rumored for next year to reach UHD BD. I know it was so meticulously graded and mastered for SDR.

How does this get handled in the HDR world without Mr. Willis?

At least we have the wonderful SDR BDs none the less.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This can also apply to (slightly) higher budget Hollywood productions as well. I had much the same thought watching Spaceballs last night. The 4K and HDR really only served to exaggerate every speck of grain. There's no way anyone who made the movie wanted it to look so grainy. The accompanying Blu-ray, from the same master, seems to manage the grain better without much difference in actual picture detail.

Agreed. I think SDR Blu-ray sometimes gets a bad wrap. Almost all of the complaints are strictly from older masters often with mediocre compression and a mess of processing (DNR, EE, clipping, etc.). Nothing to do with the format. Some Blus still stem from DVD-era masters which is sad.

Speaking of Arrow, I watched their remastered version of 12 Monkeys on BD. Wow. I cannot imagine it being any better.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Blu-ray of Cat o' Nine Tails is beautiful. What possible advantage to it would a 4K release have? I cannot imagine any.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks