What's new

Veneer questions (1 Viewer)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Sup all, I'm in a process of putting together my main speaker cabinets. The question is if I round up the edges of the two sides, how hard is it to wrap the veneer over the rounded corner? I would like to round off the edges but I'm afraid it might be difficult to wrap the veneer around it. This will be the first time that I'll attempt to veneer my cabinet. I have no experience what so ever. I'm thinking of getting some rosewood veneer. Can someone direct me to where can I get it for cheap. I'm probably going to need 4' x 8' sheet. I would like to shop at the local area, but if online is much cheaper I will order it online. Anyone knows where in the Los Angeles/Alhambra area that I can go take a look? Thanks all.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

I don't think you are going to find nice rosewood in 4x8 sheets. In fact, the 4x8 sheets are mostly ordinary stuff- maple, cherry oak etc. The best place to purchase interesting veneer by far is Ebay in my experience.

JustinSC

Grip
I'm looking to get a roundover bit from MLCS which one should I get? I'm looking at a 1/2" shank size but what radius, large dia., and carbide height?

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, thank you for the info.

I'm hasitate to round off the edges cuz' I'm afraid that the backed paper veneer can't take it. For the first time veneerer, do you recommend to round off the edges? Also, the flush tweeter driver hole is worrying me as well. I don't know how to cut the veneer off:frowning: I need to do more research I guess. Thanks.

Al,

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

The best way is to veneer before cutting the recess, but it is too late for that. If your through hole and recess have already been done, and you have a rebate bit, then veneer over the hole, rough cut the veneer with a sharp knife, then run the rebate bit set shallow to trim the veneer. If this is not possible, your in for a long tough session with a razor blade.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Paper backed veneer handles rounded edges easily. Of course it depends on the wood chosen as to how easily. I've taken oak, mahogany, and walnut around 1/2" rounded edges but prefer the look of 3/4".

Marc LaPalme

Agent
i veneer 1 cm corners everyday.

i soak the corner in warm water for about 30 seconds and it wraps easy.

5mm.. no problem, 3 maybe if your carefull. just use good glue and be carefull. dont touch the wet part of the wood and let it dry before pressing in good.

like the other guys said. do a practise run before trying it out on the cabinets. you'll be thankful after doing the full wrap.

btw. i'm using 1 mm veneer, paper backed. soft woods will bend easier. (maple) harder woods(oak) let soak a bit longer.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like you've got the box completed already.. but, personally, I'd construct the enclosure in such a way to allow for quater-round stock to be attached around the edge of the baffle rather than rounding the edges after the fact. It's getting covered by veneer anyway, so cheap pine could be used.

Large radii roundover bits are expensive IMHO.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

That'll work just fine. A buddy of mine has veneered quite a few speaker cabinets in 10-mil paperbacked rosewood veneer without any trouble at all on rounded corners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks