What's new

Velodyne goes BIG. (1 Viewer)

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce thanks for the pic link.

That unit is totally different from the prototype.

The original was black with the fake granite trim.

The sub uses HGS drivers and power output stages.
The preamp controller is very complex part. It has to run both amps

Bruce Hall

Agent
Michael,

You're welcome, and let me expound on some of your observations.

Yes, the granite was just a prototype, the aluminum is extruded and can be filled with sand/shot or another preferred dampening material. The cabinet shown is cherry, it also comes in piano-gloss black and maple.

The drivers are similar to the HGS in terms of magnet and voice coil, but use a new carbon-fiber cone material with a ROHACELL foam core that is lighter and stronger.

The control stage (Digital Drive) is completely digital. It offers the eq capability, high and low pass crossovers, and complete control for crossing over the 18 and the 12 drivers as desired. It is all RS-232 controllable and we've also digitized the HGS accelerometer so that it now checks and corrects for cone anomolies some 15,000 times per second.

Bruce

Randy G

Second Unit
Any of this stuff migrating to the "regular" HGS subs? Velo was working on some HGS subs with eq awhile back. Weren't they supposed to be introduced at CEDIA or is it the upcoming CES?

Bruce Hall

Agent
Randy,
Wish I had more data for you, but plans for the evolution of the HGS series aren't finalized yet (although we will likely announce something sometime next year).

Bruce

Randy G

Second Unit
Bruce,

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, somebody told me that the HGS-12 Series II is available in white...true?

Randy G

Second Unit
Funny...I was wondering the same thing myself. BTW Bruce, is the white finish the same type glossy as the black?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks