What's new

Velodyne goes BIG. (1 Viewer)

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
Velodyne introduced there monster sub the "Signature 1812" at Cedia this weekend. With 2500 watts and a 18" woofer for 50hz and below and a 12" woofer for above 50hz. And so you get your 15k worth it comes with an onboard computer, you take the included microphone plug it in the back of the sub hook the sub to a monitor and it plays it own test tones and shows you the room curve in real time. Then if you need to flatten the curve it has a 5 band parametric eq also. The thing was a monster it has all the tools to raise the bar higher than it has ever been.
Matt:)

Randy G

Second Unit
And only 15K?? Geez, how'd they figure out how to beat the price/performance ratio of SVS? I'm buying two tomorrow.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Just my guess, but that velo can probably hit a lot deeper and louder than your average SVS.
Maybe pretty soon, high end companies will offer remotes that have spl meters to automatically adjust levels AND equalize to real time response.
It would make this hobby seem a lot more boring. :)

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
Oh it has a remote to. The one at the show had its subsonic filter set at 20hz so it didn't go that low. But with the versatility that this thing has is pretty wild. Personally I can find other things for the 15k.;)
Matt

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The big VEL isn't meant to be a cost/performance leader...at least from a sheer SPL/FREQ/Penny standpoint.

They have the CHT series for that.

TV

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
Well Tom you know that I own one from your flock, but if I had lots and lots of money it would be cool to have a sub with a on board computer.:) Not because you need one but because you could afford one and not everyone else could.
With an attitude like that you now know why my wife handles the checkbook.:angry:
Matt;)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ran,

Not everyone gets your off beat humor like I do. And I can't imagine how I missed checking out the Velodyne booth at CEDIA. Well, I had other fish to fry.

Brian

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
>>Just my guess, but that velo can probably hit a lot deeper and louder than your average SVS

Cam S

Screenwriter
WOW, this sounds like a killer sub setup. Seems like they put all the tools right into the sub to satisfy even the biggest audio geeks :D

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
The dual 18 unit was very cool. I think it was too big, about the same size as two ULD 18's

The quad 12” transmission line hybrid thing was cool too.

I don’t think they would have gone over too well though as a retail product.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
The big Velo is like a super expensive foreign sports car, whereas the SVS 16-46 is more like a Corvette, meaning the most bang/performance for the money.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Humm, "Signature 1812" I wonder if the name is not a pun on 1812 Overture which is a... ahum... Subwoofer Benchmark of some sort!

I looked at Velodyne's Website, and I think a SVS 25-31PCi beats a Velodyne CHT-12 easily for the price at least...

SVS 25-31PCi is still my first choice for when I will upgrade my sub.

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
wish I could of made the show, I would like to see that big Velo in person, I guess it don't hurt to dream a little:D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The "room correction" thing is cool,but you can have this kinda performace for a fraction of this price[DIY],and use BFD with an RTA and a calibrated mike to get it equilized to flat.
I'm not sure why a remote is "needed" or useful for a sub?

Randy G

Second Unit
A remote is "useful" for a sub because it eliminates the need to remove one's butt from the couch to adjust for different program material.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
A remote is "useful" for a sub because it eliminates the need to remove one's butt from the couch to adjust for different program material.
I could do that from my preamps sub out just as easily,but I don't change the setting,once it's calibrated I don't need to!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks