What's new

Velodyne DD18 Subwoofer Review!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>well, about the building comment... i bet i could build it in my basement (im an avid DIY'er when it comes to audio). there really is nothing overly special about the SVS subs. its a simple design, and because of this, they are good products

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
well, i sure as hell wouldnt re-invent the wheel :) being that im not marketing it, i would just borrow whats already out there.

im not downing the product at all. i can replicate many products that are out there. right now im building a replica of an $18K amplifier... i didnt invent the electronics, nor could i! but, i can sure use them and impliment them...

i understand there is a much R&D work in building a sub from the ground up, but when you are trying to build it for yourself and not for the masses, its easier. i wouldnt be building an amp either probably... i would be using an off the shelf plate amp, or possibly a pro-amp.

but all aside, i think you are missing my point... i respect SVS products (although i havent truly heard them), but like MANY products out there (name an amp, most all speakers, many subs, etc...), they are pretty simple when you get down to it. its just that someone had to go and do the work to get them right. but once its right, re-creating it isnt a very big deal.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Tom V,

Is there a Parametric EQ. on the market that has the "slick" video interface similiar to what the Velodyne is using? I really like the visual representation for the "peaks" and "valleys" which makes it more intuitive to tune the room?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
There is nothing inherently more complicated or sophisticated about any Velodyne sub as well.They use videly available[to manufacturers] drivers and simple cabinet design as well,the only thing is "special" is their servo curcuits,and now the built in EQ.Both had been implemented before,and can be "copied" by using similar devices[like BFD+Pc] for far less.

dave alan

Second Unit
Mike Sloan,

This looks like the ticket.

I'll be at the CES show and plan to check it out in more detail. I'll report what I find and answer what I can when I get back.

Robert,

I'm sure TV could write a book on the process he just squeezed into 1 paragraph. It really is a bit over the edge to say you could build an equal product in your basement.

Note the hour of some of the times of TV's posts.

Even writing the manual for these sorts of products is a monumental task, and be prepared to follow up for at least a year once you deliver it.

Tell me specific stuff pertaining to the DD series subs...that would sort of be your day job, no?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Well...the comment about the building a sub in your basement also said the B4+. I won't disgree that it's a complex design. But since it's a passive box and is sold with a Crown amp and Rane EQ (if desired) the comments about the Indigo amps really do not apply.

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I have no idea of what people mean by hijacking a thread. Have read this thread and it is very educative. One thing remains important and to me that is the crux of the matter. The THD figures for he B-4 and the DD-18 are misleading. Left me at first read that the DD would have better performance. THD in a sub is to me one extremely important measurements.
I am not an SVS owner but I really would like to see how the B-4 compares to the ubber-sub of this world.
Still with the B-4 outside it manages 3% at 15 hz, that is uncanny.

I sincerely would like to see SVS B-4 reviewed and tested in comparison to celebrated subs such as Velo, Krell and Wilson UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS. THe audio world may get quite a rumbling

Oh!! I am not an SVS owner. I am educating myself on the subject of subwoofers a fascinating field...

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

First, I'm not arguing the legitimacy of the difference between inside/outside measurements but the B4+ was at 30% distortion at 15hz, not 3%. Distortion at 20hz was slightly over 3%.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Not really. I know a good number of people that feel this way. A lot of SVS owners won't accept that someone prefers a different sub. You can tell them you've tried 100 different subs (including 3 SVS offerings) and spent hours upon hours of calibration and tweaking, but still they'll tell you that you're doing something wrong or don't have good taste...whatever.

Please note, everyone, that I did NOT say ALL SVS owners do this. Thanks.

- Dan Hine

BradD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad

Sorry, but boycotting a particular brand just because you don't agree with the "attitude" of certain owners is silly. If you choose not to buy SVS because you are not satisfied with their performance, then that is reasonable.

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator

Well!! This remains an irrational conclusion. It is after all your money and you spend it the way you see fit, yet, not buying a product because of the blind devotion of some, is irrational.

I do not own SVS anything but based on the enthusiasm on many here, I would say they deserve a serious audition. Don't they have a free month audition, you pay the shipping? If I were in the USA I sure would give the B-4 an audition in a purist audiophile context. On paper there are not that many commercial subs that approach its clean output, maybe the Wilson XS and at its price one can purchase several B-4 complete with amps and digital room correction. I do not mean by that the B-4 is the equal or better than the XS. I do not know and could not tell without carefully auditioning both under the exact same conditions… The fact remains however that when one talks about subwoofer, SVS seems always to pop up, they must be doing something right..

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

P.S. Have never heard an SVS anything..

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
I can relate, I will NEVER own a Naim product because of the owners. They are fanatics and some are certifiably nuts.

Back on topic, The new DD Velodynes are truly world class. A digital servo controlled 1250 watt sub with room correction, whats not to like? These have raised the bar a few notches....

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Just like people boycott certain stores because of ONE bad salesman, or certain restaraunts because of ONE bad experience, or certain cars because one person's uncle's cousin's broke down while in the mountains.

There are other reasons that I wouldn't buy SVS but since this thread has had a lot of good information and could likely bring about more, I don't wish to get it closed by offering more than I did. Feel free to PM me if you want my opinion...even though it's just MY opinion.

SVS makes good subs. And Mercedes make good cars but I won't be buying one of them either.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

No. You do have to buy the sub but you can return it for a full refund not including shipping.

terence

Supporting Actor

You are free to do what you like and i'm really fine with that, but...........Why would dislike the company for something they have no control over? If Naim makes a great quality product and you like it, you are the one taking a loss not the over the top customers.

This must be something new going around, people not looking into, buying a product because a few (bad apples) owners are fanatics.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

As I pointed out, it's nothing new. This sort of thing has been going on for a long time. "I won't shop at CC anymore because _____." All it takes is one bad apple.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
I'm not an SVS owner but I have all the respect in the world for what they have accomplished.

I only hope that the SVS owners on HTF learn from the Onix
Rockets/AVS Forum debacle that came to a nasty conclusion
earlier this year.

I have no idea how zeal for a product should be handled, but I do know from having observed the Onix/AVS situation that when seven out of ten threads are about the same company and when every other word is that companys name in the rest of the threads then you can be sure that a storm is brewing.

It's spooky that many of the things written in this thread are identical to what can be found in the dozens upon dozens of threads and posts during the Onix/AVS drama.

I can relate to the sentiments of either side. I just hope an accord can be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks