What's new

Velodyne DD18 Subwoofer Review!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I almost stopped reading this thread after the sixth post. It's to the point that I rarely read threads anymore because it almost all ways degenerates into "mine is better" or "this company is better" arguments. I read posts to educate myself on new technologies, consumer reviews etc,, not to read pissing contests, and pissing contests are what they are.

I am interested in SVS and would like to check them out, but it DOES turn me off to that company when I see posts like the sixth one in this thread. It's not SVS's fault at all, but it does affect my my way of thinking about certain companies.

Matt

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well put Matt. It seems as though it's all been said. I personaly was sorry to see this Thread take the turn that it did. I said ouch when I saw it coming.

The DD18 review never mentioned SVS or any post preceding the (turn south).. Imo sensitivity needs to be exercised by all including myself. While there is nothing wronge with having an opinion or being excited about a product, there are those times when it is definitly uncalled for

terence

Supporting Actor
Steve, and others who have the same veiw

I agree with you 100%! I posted this thread for the soul purpose of NEW technology in HT. I like other products besides what i own and love HT period i never thought it would go this route. It would be nice to get back on topic.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator

Matt, very well put. I wonder if the supporters of certain brands realize that they do more harm than good by the non-objective, over-the-top, "better than everything else" statements they make. Ironically, I contrast these with Tom V., who works for (owns?) SVS, and often fairly points out the strengths of competitor's products.

I have found that, with a few exceptions, I rarely read the 2nd or 3rd page of speaker threads because they always seem to degenerate into the same thing.

Regards,

John

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator

It is very cool that the guys at SVS do point out strengths of other products. When I was dealing with the they were very helpful with me. I do happily own a SVS sub thanks to their help.

The sad thing is this post started off talking about the new Velodyne DD18 and it turned into something horrible.

I did see where someone else posted about SVS not being the only company that gets the praise. I have seen tons of the same stuff for Denon, HK, Rotel, HSU, Axiom, etc....
The one good thing about it is that all these companies make some great products.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I agree too. Now it became the:[Cartman's voice] "Mum, the SVS bullies hijack our Velodyne thread"! :rolleyes::D

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Tom - I just made it through most of this thread. I would love to see this face-off of top line subs done. I started a thread on the "SPOT"... and... WOW ! Did I get responses... the debate rages on as to what qualifies as an objective measuring system. I suggested the following :

1. All measuring is done outside
2. At one meter ( I guess two would also work )
3. Using the same test gear
4. in 5 HZ increments from 15 HZ to 80 HZ
5. Maximum output from each sub
6. Distortion at each level for both 90 and 100 DB
7. Manufacturers and dealers would be allowed to respond...

For example... Velodyne sells through dealers, so if a dealer is willing to sell the DD-18 for $3500, that is its "street price"... and a dealer would be allowed to tell us...

NOW - For those who accused SVS owners of being Zealots who hi-jacked this thread... I have had several insults tossed at me on the SVS forum, from people who seem to be "pro Velodyne"... I agree that insults have no place here... but to the "gentlemen" who said " I know how Y'all are, I have been here three years... THAT was uncalled for. We are here for fun... on that note...

:D

Craig

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
""As a recent SVS owner, I find it really embarrassing sometimes the blind loyalty and comments that are made by other owners with no real objective proof to their statements hyping our subs and deeming them better than all others. This makes many of SVS supporters sound foolish and gives us a bad rep in many forums. I wish this would tone down. I never see a Velodyne or Hsu owner posting a "It's HERE It's HERE!" post or jumping into threads about other brands talking them down compared to SVS................this post was noting a review, not asking for comparisons............"""

This happens everywhere, the old Harmonicdiscord was pro VMPS and Adire, the Audiocircle.com is pro VMPS. And this site is pro SVS. It's just these people think what they have is the best and if someone else wants something different, they automatically have a "bad ear" or don't have "good taste" or something is wrong with them. I've never heard any SVS, and I think they have reasonably priced subs, like the 25-31pci or pb1-isd. Now those could probably be one of the best in the price range, that doesn't mean thats the only sub people should consider. I remember an old thread about some guy asking about subwoofer choices, and 1 person recommended a VMPS, sub then a SVS zealot came out and trashed it, saying "VMPS doesn't compare to SVS", kind of like there is a rivalry among owners.

john aprile

Agent
Benihana , I concur, SOME SVS owners sound like screaming little girls , just having reached puberty , out on their first live boy band concert.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks