What's new

Vehicle Trouble!! (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Can anyone offer some advice? My 84 GMC S-15 seems to be having some electrical problems. I went out to start it the other day and I get nothing! I have no power what so ever. It was running just fine the day before. Being fairly non-mechanical I tried the basic stuff I know, try jumping it, check the battery cables...nothing still. So if anyone can offer up something to try, I'd owe ya a big ole hug.;) Thanks.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Do you have lights, radio ETC ?? NO ! Get the battery tested, and the alternator.

Brent

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
If you have NO power to ANYTHING and you rule out the battery try this: The problem still could be at the cables. I've seen many a tech mis-diagnose this as a starter problem (i was guilty of it once so it became one of the first things I checked).A simple continuity test of the cable won't find the problem. To accurately test this, you should use a multimeter and check for a voltage drop across the cables. If you have access to a meter, hook one lead at the battery terminal and the other lead to the other end of the same cable. Have someone try and crank the engine (keep everything clear in case it starts) and read the voltage on the meter. If it's above 1-2volts, replace cable or check for corrosion. Do this on both cables, although the positive lead can be a little difficult to get to at the starter. Try removing the terminals and check for corrosion. If some is noted, I would suggest prying out the center bolt (just held in by the rubber)and clean with a wire brush.

If you do have power to other things and just won't crank:
A test light at the starter should be used to check for power. The large lead should have a positive 12v to it at all times. The small (I believe it's purple on GM) should receive 12v when the key is in the crank position only. If either do not have power then the problem could get more involved(ignition switch, fusible links, transmission/clutch switch etc.)

If you here a clicking at the starter but no crank, break out the mechanics best friend (a hammer) and tap on the starter while someone tries to crank. If it kicks over, usually means a bad starter.

Good Luck,
Bill

E

Eric Kahn

Standard GM problem, unbolt the ground cable from the block and clean the corosion off and rebolt it, your truck should be fine then

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well, thank you everybody for your suggestions!:) I finally got a chance to get to it yesterday before work. I started with the cables and cleaned them up and when that didn't work I took the battery to be tested and it appears to be fine. I guess today I'll get started on the more confusing stuff some of you have suggested! Man I hate vehicle trouble.:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks