What's new

Vampire Hunter D (the first one) (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, everyone! I've recently gotten an interest in Anime, and I thought Vampire Hunter D would be a good place to start. I love vampire stuff. What do you all think about this movie. I've read that the second one is better, but unless this one is totally not recommended, I'd like to start out with the first, so I'll have the backstory. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Rob

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Robert-

Vampire Hunter D tells a good story,
but the animation is not the greatest IMHO.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a much
richer film as far as animation goes, but I liked the
story of the first one better.

I am a marginal anime admirer: the film has to look
really nice, sound nice, etc... or I am not interested.

For that reason, I only OWN a few anime.

Ones with top notch animation quality:

Blood, The Last Vampire
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
then there are the non-vampire ones
that I love:
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Graveyard of the Fireflies
Princess Mononoke
Metropolis
and
Spirited Away.

There are others, but again, I am far from an anime
buff. All the ones I mentioned did clearly have larger
budgets and a higher level of production values.

Have fun, and do check out the anime threads here:
hours of reading and information.

Adam_D

Stunt Coordinator
the original VHD is one of the first anime movies i ever saw about 6-7 years ago and i love it. yes the VHD:Bloodlust is better in the animation but the first one came out in 1985 so you have to expect that (although i still think the animation was really good for its time). IMO i highly recommend both of them.

blood the last vampire is a really good one as well but the story really leaves you hanging:frowning: series wise, Hellsing is a really great series that i highly recommend and hopefully they put out a second season to clean up a few loose ends that i feel exist in the series.

as far as other movies i agree with Mark's list and would like to add:
3x3 Eyes (well not really a movie but still really good)
Jin-Roh: the Wolf Brigade
Ninja Scroll
Wicked City

Adam

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just to "I concur!" with Adam_D,
I haven't seen all those he added, but
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
and
Wicked City are
two that are excellent as far as production value
and story.

Just be careful:
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade comes in
two versions, with the SE containing the films soundtrack CD.
Wicked City has lots of cool demons,
(A person who likes vampire flicks would probably
really enjoy this one.)
but there is a "live action" version on DVD as well
that most think is not good.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I had Vampire Hunter D on laserdisc a few years back, looked great, and was a great anime.Lots of style, and mood. But the DVD is WAY to dark. Detail is missing that shouldnt be. I had the same problem, to a lesser degree with Wicked City on DVD, also a great movie. Both come from Urban Vision, not one of the better for good DVD transfers. I guess my point is Vampire Hunter D is a great anime, but just an OK DVD.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Vampire Hunter D was the first movie which introduced me to anime. Vampire Hunter D is a good movie. Even though the animation is old, Vampire Hunter D is still a good movie.

About the transfer of Vampire Hunter D & Wicked City (which I both own on DVD), IMO, I found no trouble with the transfer. The transfer, IMO, looked good.

James T

Screenwriter
Vampire Hunter D is a fun movie. But I think Bloodlust is just more fun. Think of it like Blade 1 and Blade 2. Blade 1 relied on story to move the film forward whereas Blade 2 was just non-stop action.

I'd also recommend Blood: The last Vampire. It's pretty short, but the animation is wonderful.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, I really don't like Anime. However, I really like Vampire Hunter D. I may even end up buying it eventually, as well as Bloodlust (never seen it, but based on the first one am interested in it).

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

I agree--too dark. And this is a pretty new DVD and a "special edition" (for what that's worth).

Still, watch it before Bloodlust. I like the first one, but Bloodlust really rocks! And it's as much a remake as a sequel.

A couple more a$$ kicking anime' are Spriggan (like Jonny Quest cranked up to the max) and Ninja Scroll. Heaping piles of a$$ kicked in both of these as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks