What's new

Value HDTVs (1 Viewer)

Kennethlawson

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth Lawson
As many of you know the market has been flooded with a huge variety of low cost HDtvs. Everything, from value models from established makers like Sony and the like, to brands the no one has ever heard of, and some we can't pronounce.
There have been article discussing the major problem with theses tvs mainly service, which in many cases is pretty much non-existent, or at the very least very hard to get done, and then not without shipping the unit to never-land, and back,
My question is what are you folks experiences with theses tvs, either directly or with folks you know who have them.
Their price and availability at the likes of Wall-Mart are very tempting especially to folks with extreme budgets,,

What it boils down to are they worth the risk of problems and poor service option for the better price..?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I have a simple formula I use when making relatively high values purchases: Buy from established manufacturers with a known history of standing behind their products.

Yes, it may cost more, but odds are I'll get a better performing TV that will last longer and experience fewer problems. On lower cost and disposable items I'm willing to take some risks, but when I'm going to plunk down a couple grand I'm definitely more cautious. It doesn't mean I won't experience any problems, even the best occasionally fail. But my odds are definitely better.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Welcome to the forum. As usual, you will need to define "worth." Words like "worth," "value," "good," "better," etc., etc., are entirely subjective. My opinion on these terms means nothing to you, if you define them differently. Please be more specific.

None of the cheap LCD panels I've seen have picture quality acceptable to me. My advice would be to buy what you can afford and live with the related consequences. Either that, or wait and save for better performance. Frankly, I don't recommend LCD TVs over plasma, unless the user values specific performance characteristics of LCDs greater than overall image fidelity.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Real Name
Enoch
GeorgeAB, I would like to explore your recommendations a little further.

I bought a Panasonic TH-42PW3 in 2001, and the only viewing area in my house is a family room with lots of windows, including a large "sky view" window behind and above the monitor, which is on a stand. With the backlighting and reflections, its about as rough a problem as you can present a monitor. All I can say is that at night it looks spectacular.

Over the past year or so, it has started developing problems, which, considering its age and subsequent advances, mean that I am considering replacing it. I intend to go larger, basically the biggest and best I can do for about $2M.

I've gone into getting the best signal to it in a separate forum, but any help I can get here in making the HDTV choice I would appreciate.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
You have a seriously compromised viewing environment for daytime viewing. An LCD would be appropriate, since they compete with high ambient light better than plasmas. A Samsung would be sufficient. You could also invest in light block shades for your windows, especially the one's reflected in the screen.

If you value superior image quality for critical viewing sessions when light can be better controlled, look for a newer Panasonic plasma. The Pioneer Kuro Elites are the best, but they're no longer made, are more coslty, and remaining inventories are dwindling. After the Panasonics would be a Samsung.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks