What's new

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Has there been any word about the 3D Blu ray release in North America yet? I see that it is available for pre-order on Amazon.uk.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I jumped over to the Blu-ray.com forum. According to the scuttlebutt in the Valerian thread Lionsgate is handling North American home video distribution, so some of the people there have doubts that a domestic 3D release will be offered. Most likely looks like a person will have to import it if a 3D release is done.

A lot of the people over there weren't as impressed with the 3D as I was. Most thought the 3D was quite good in some key areas with the rest being fair to medium. I thought it was good in general, so maybe I'm not all that qualified to judge.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I jumped over to the Blu-ray.com forum. According to the scuttlebutt in the Valerian thread Lionsgate is handling North American home video distribution, so some of the people there have doubts that a domestic 3D release will be offered. Most likely looks like a person will have to import it if a 3D release is done.

A lot of the people over there weren't as impressed with the 3D as I was. Most thought the 3D was quite good in some key areas with the rest being fair to medium. I thought it was good in general, so maybe I'm not all that qualified to judge.
I would trust your opinion way more than "those" people Edwin. Every day of the week.

Atari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward
Finally rented this and was disappointed. I haven't read through the thread as I was avoiding spoilers, but I'm sure the same issues I had are there.

The first few minutes were great and then the miscast leads showed up. Valerian should have been played by a more Harrison Ford character, age 30-40. I would be OK with Cara as Lauraline as long as there was chemistry. The story wasn't bad, but maybe they should have started with how they first met in the middle ages rather than the 1,000 planets. There was nothing to root for in the relationship.

I could be wrong, but I don't see this getting cult status like Fifth Element unless there is a director's cut where Valerian is replaced. Maybe fans will make an edit.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You know how sometimes you start watching something that looked like a total disaster but those low expectations were met by something unexpectedly great?

This is not one of those films. It's actually somehow worse.

Dane Dehaan was miscast horribly. I swear Besson cast him because of Dehaan's uncanny resemblance to his ex-wife Milla Jovovich. Don't know whose idea it was to do a Keanu Reeves vocal impersonation but... nope, didn't work.

It's a total mess. It's actually worse than Jupiter Ascending.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
You know how sometimes you start watching something that looked like a total disaster but those low expectations were met by something unexpectedly great?
[ ... ]

It's a total mess. It's actually worse than Jupiter Ascending.
Ooooh, that's harsh, but probably true, and more or less what I thought, and considering what I thought of Jupiter, I'm not even gonna check it our, despite Besson (but he hasn't done anything worthwhile i years, has he?).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But we know what happens when we "assume..."

assume.jpg

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Ooooh, that's harsh, but probably true, and more or less what I thought, and considering what I thought of Jupiter, I'm not even gonna check it our, despite Besson (but he hasn't done anything worthwhile i years, has he?).
Lucy had a some dynamic scenes and is worth watching, although I would have liked it better if it weren't so hung up some of the illogical parts of the premise (including the fallacy that we only use 10% of our brain, which is 100% false). Otherwise, he the superfecta of Big Blue, La Femme Nikita, Leon, and The Fifth Element and then kind of petered out. I'll give a shot at anything he makes just because I love The Fifth Element so much, but holy shit, that was 20 years ago.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Lucy had a some dynamic scenes and is worth watching, although I would have liked it better if it weren't so hung up some of the illogical parts of the premise (including the fallacy that we only use 10% of our brain, which is 100% false). Otherwise, he the superfecta of Big Blue, La Femme Nikita, Leon, and The Fifth Element and then kind of petered out. I'll give a shot at anything he makes just because I love The Fifth Element so much, but holy shit, that was 20 years ago.
You're right, I forgot Lucy. The others you mention are favs of mine too, although Fifth Element is a bit stupid, although beautiful.
Also, let's not forget Subway.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Received my 3D Valarian from Hong Kong. It plays perfectly on my PS3. Very few extras on the flat disc version, however. To supplement I borrowed the DVD from the public library. This disc has over 2 hours of special materials.
Except for the fact that the PS3 lists the disc in Chinese characters in its menu, you would not know it was not bought in North America. You have to turn off the Chinese subtitles, but there is also the option of English subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks