What's new

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have 4 region 1 Blu ray players and 3 region 1 DVD players. I like to watch my discs in one of 5 rooms depending on my mood. I also have thousands of discs. If I want to watch in 3D, however I am limited to one room with the largest TV and the PS3. This is limiting enough.

I don’t want another limit of a region free player and other region discs in one room. Also, I am not likely to order another disc from Hong Kong. This was ordered because it was my only way to get this particular movie in 3D.

My interests are such that I have always been able to get the movies I wanted locally. The problem I am running into has only happened recently and involves 3D Blu rays only. I was able to get two region free ones from Britain, and had Valarian in my Amazon.uk basket until I discovered it was region locked.

I gave up at this point. Later I discovered you could order the Hong Kong disc through Amazon.com a company I trust. I am Canadian and many of the unfamiliar companies will not deliver to my US PO box. It was easy to go through Amazon of course, and I got free shipping and a guarantee.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks David and Terry for your generous explanations. I watch almost everything in one room so it's easier for me to upgrade just one player; I can understand multiple players being an unreasonable hassle to replace.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A quick update:
Region A Valerian HK is apparently quite a nice disc -- playasia has in stock, dddhouse is apparently just getting it up for sale
Region Free India Valerian -- nice PQ seemingly equal to the other disc, but does have only 5.1 soundtrack losing the upscale track of the Region B and HK disc which isn't unusual for India.

One of the Korean sites (novanm ) has announced plans of a release sometime in 2018 -- no further details

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I received this 4K disc for Christmas...
Biggest surprise was the Dolby Vision logo that came up on my LG screen (the cover of the disc has no reference to DV at all) showing that my Oppo - Denon- Oled combo is now all compatible. A bit of research this morning shows that Valerian is the first disc in my collection with DV and I presume the Oppo defaults to DV as the 'best' HDR version? Anyway, the first scenes of the film with the 'pearlescent' skinned characters certainly do look impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks